The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Your Blog Content Rocks, But Is It Readable?: Three Thoughts Thursday


The three thoughts I wanted to share tonight aren’t anything earth-shattering and you’ve probably heard it before in regards to writing for your website and for writing articles. But after experiencing extreme eye-fatigue after visiting a few blogs tonight (boo hoo!), I thought three thoughts were in order. Just because you’re writing on an informal blog or journal, doesn’t mean you can throw readability out the window.

Not to sound like a snob, but here are some tips for formatting your blog posts for easy readability:

1. Use bold subheadlines: It’s no secret the majority of your visitors will scan the pages they visit before actually reading them through. With bold subheadings, it’s easier for readers to see what you’re writing as their eyes shoot in hyper speed down the posts. If they see something they like, they’ll stay, if not they’ll leave. Simple as that.

2. Bullet or numbered points are your friends: We all know what it’s like to get emails where the sender has typed everything in one big paragraph. Confusing to say the least, right? On your blog (and other web pages) it’s always easier to keep your readers attention if you break things up by making an easy-to-read and scan bulleted list.

3. Keep the paragraphs and sentences short: Short, sweet and to the point…there’s a reason that saying is so popular. Everyone is busy these days and therefore this last thought is one that your readers will surely appreciate. Say what you need to say in as least amount of words possible and use plenty of white space to reduce eye-strain.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just captured 2 screenshots of our blogs, of the same
size window, to show just how tiny the fonts on your IM
sweetie blog look on my iMac (with default settings)...

Alice's Blog

Dr.Mani's blog

If I'm reading a lot of content at once, I will increase
the size using my browser fonts, but maybe that's a part
of what makes usability/readability of blogs so diverse?

The tips you shared definitely make readability easier
than it would otherwise be with such font sizes.

All success
Dr.Mani
Money.Power.Wisdom

11:03 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Thanks for the comments...darn Macs. JK.

I wonder if there is a font to specify so it will show the same on Macs.

My son has a Mini Mac. I'll have to check it out. I appreciate the tip!

11:12 PM  
Blogger halfalump said...

Whether deserved or not, I tend to associate readability with quality. And I find there is generally a connection with the organized mind and the organized page.

One blog I look to as a standard for readability-meets-quality-content is JamesBrausch.com (no, I am not James Brausch). Simply organized pages. Whitespace. Killer information (without killing your eyes!)

Keep up the good work!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Your font looks the same to me as Dr.Mani's image, and I'm on PC but I don't mind it that size.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Thanks for the feedback again, everyone.

Half Lump...I know you're not James, but you do work for him, right? He sends a lot of usernames my way to post here. Very amusing!

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home