The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Jimmy D. Brown is Kicking My Butt

Recently, I signed up for an extra e-coaching course that Jimmy D. Brown offered to his List and Traffic subscribers (if you're not signed up for this one - it's an invaluable resource and you can't beat the price). I got my first homework assignment and handed it in.

He wrote back to me and said this (note, this isn't course material I'm offering here...it's additional advice he gave me that I would like to share with you):

"While I certainly would never tell you or anyone else not to focus on several markets, I do think it's a MAJOR distraction for most people. It certainly demands more time investment and usually doesn't allow you to maximize the assets you're already building.

I've analyzed a LOT of businesses online and have been doing this myself since '97 and in about 97% of the cases those who work with ONE primary market find it is much easier to make as much money as they want than those who try to dabble in multiple markets.

A VERY well known marketer who is taking this course actually contacted me today to tell me that he's going to stop working in all of the niches that he's been trying to do and start focusing on one primary market as I suggested, simply because it's much less demanding.

Having said all of that, you're obviously more experienced and seasoned than most people and I would never attempt to dissuade you from working in several markets. I agree that you don't want to take on any new projects for the sake of this course.
"

He got me thinking and what he says makes sense. Realize he's not saying stick to one niche - he's talking about MARKETS. You can sell all kinds of things to the same market...but when you move outside your market, you can dilute the power of your marketing. I have two main markets that I won't be moving from...but I have dabbled in a handful of others and they really are distracting, even though I outsource most of the work for those.

Jimmy's already got me really thinking with the contents of his first lesson, but his comments to me have me really re-evaluating a few things. Thanks, as always, Jimmy. :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great advice Alice. This post was perfect timing. Just recently I decided to focus on one market instead of trying to be a player in multiple markets. I just don't have the mentality to focus on a multitude of topics. Your post helped me to reaffirm my decision.

- Kim

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, what is the difference between a niche and a market? Is a niche a subject, and the market the people that are interested in that subject?

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice,

Mr. Brown is absolutely right. I switched over from handling several niche sites to just a small handful with a concentration on a few markets. It's much easier to stay focused, organized and MOTIVATED.

Thank you for posting Mr. Brown's comments as it is invaluable advice for people who are struggling right now.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,

Thanks for sharing Jimmy's advice. I'm continually amazed by his insight. Hopefully the butt-kicking wasn't too painful. ;-)

Speaking of markets, did you know one of yours has its own week next month? March 12-18 is "International Internet Mom's Week." Gonna celebrate?

8:54 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Thanks everyone. Yes, Anonymous, you got it exactly.

Hey Bonnie, who is organizing that event?

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alice ... I guess we are classmates now. :P

You are not the only one getting a kick in the butt. But it's for my own good.

And now, just got the second issue. So far this is great. I am glad that I got into this class.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Charlie Allnut said...

Mr Brown is a good resource. I also belong to List & Traffic, and it is good stuff!
I am, however, convinced that if we do not diversify, then we are leaving a lot on the table. Perhaps, Alice, you could be a bit more definitive in your post. I remain curious as always...

Charlie~
http://www.for-the-record.biz

7:38 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your comments. It is definitely about diversifying, but using your available resources to do so.

If I market to students (just as an example), I can sell them all kinds of things. Everything from school supplies to college preparation programs to Spring Break vacation packages. I would still have multiple websites, but the network of websites is more powerful because I have the general market of students to make offers too.

I'm a bit sleepy as I just woke up. I hope that is some kind of explanation. ;-)

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home