The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Fewer Goals, Smaller To Do Lists - More Success!

I was on a teleconference last week and I asked about my goals for 2006. I had some overall goals for the entire year and I mapped out in great detail my goals for the first 6 months of January. As I said them out loud, I realized that a couple years ago, I would have tried to cram the 6 months' worth of goals into 1 month.

So what's the deal? I was getting more work done when I had more goals...right? Perhaps I'm a little lazy in my old age? ;-)

NO. A couple years ago, I was doing a mediocre job of achieving my goals. Now that I've given myself time to really work on each goal, I am able to do a better job on each one, have less stress and my family really appreciates the extra time I have with them.

So, if you have a goal list for this year...take a second look. Rome wasn't built in a day and your online business doesn't have to be either. Take the time to perfect (or at least nearly perfect!) each aspect of your online business before you move onto the next thing. Besides, there are so many more important things to concentrate on in life!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I've done that before - overloading on the goals and then nothing gets done.

This time my main goals were to automate and outsource certain aspects of my business more and I've done good at sticking with them. :)

I don't know why I didn't take advantage of the automation of blogs and newsletter before now!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Maybe that's why I've always hated goals. My goals never came to fruition, so I started focusing on activity versus outcome. In other words, I did what I could control...my daily activity standard.

This is great advice. Now I'm spending one month working on some aspect of my business (list building, copywriting, content, etc) before focusing on something else. It's working great so far.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fewer goals... I don't think I'm doing too good on that point right now. LOL! I've got more pots on the stove than I can keep track of right now... but I'm working diligently at outsourcing more and more. So hopefully I can start shrinking those darn to do lists!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home