The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Three Thoughts Thursday – Staying Motivated to Work on Your Business

I don’t know about you, but I sometimes have those days where I just don’t feel like getting anything done. Those are the days when I know I just need to take a day away…far, far away from the Internet, my computer and my business. Sometimes a day off is exactly what I need to relax and recoup for a day so that I can come back fresh and ready to get down to business again.

Days like this are normal, no matter what type of work you do, but what do you do when you find yourself like this more often than just a day or two out of every month or so?

Here are my Three Thoughts for Staying Motivated to Work in Business:

If you find yourself becoming tired of your business more times than you enjoy it, here are a few things that will help you to get (and hopefully stay) on track longer.

1. Only do the stuff you like and know how to do, outsource the rest.
Honestly, why take the time to learn things like programming or web design, when you don’t have enough time in the day now? Stop stressing yourself and outsource those tasks that really consume your time and energy to the point of dread. This way they’ll get done instead of pushed to the back burner nagging at you all the time.

2. Don’t overload yourself and work on too many projects at once.
I know this is a tough one for all of us, including me. Take your time and see a project through before starting a new one. Then cycle back around and make improvements as necessary on each of them.

The great thing is, when you focus on one at a time, that one project will probably be more successful than trying to work on 3 different things at once.

3. Make a schedule and plan your days in detail.
I posted some tips on scheduling your day on last week’s Three Thoughts and this can make a world of difference.

I have never been one to be a highly-scheduled person. I didn’t make lists or keep a day planner…I wanted to just go with the flow. Well, with two kids, a cat, a dog, a husband and a house…PLUS a business, I can’t afford to be so happy-go-lucky. Scheduling has been a life saver for me.

What keeps you motivated?

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

I always plan for the week rather than a day. With two kids as you all know - you can never predict. If I plan for the week atleast I don't feel bad if I don't get what I need to do in a day..I have a week to do it...(well what happens at the end of the week is a whole another blog post)

As for what keeps motivated - music and business podcasts...

6:17 PM  
Blogger Stefani @ MommyEnterprises.com said...

I had one of those days today. Didn't really feel like getting anything done. I did accomplish a few things though on my "To Do List" and relaxed most of the rest of the day.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't sweat it if my motivation takes an occasional dip. I just step back a bit. I make sure I do accomplish my bare minimum tasks, but other than that, giving myself permission to ebb and flow a bit is a good thing.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home