The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Monday, December 10, 2007

I've Tried Everything and I Give up: Myth Crusher Monday

Myth Crusher
We all see these types of posts on forums where people are at their wits end and are ready to quit trying this Internet marketing thing. You see post titles like:

- "Thinking of giving up."
- "I've tried EVERYTHING and NOTHING works."
- "6 months and no money. I quit."

I feel for people who post things like this because by sharing their pain, I think they show they have more desire to succeed than others who might be struggling (not that DESIRE is all that it takes). Unfortunately, most people start a project, never complete it and then disappear without a word. That's why I want to crush this myth for those people with the DESIRE today.

But that said, it is very rare that these people have "tried everything", nor have they FULLY tried those things that they've attempted. I hope that this blog post will push those who are ready to give up to go further and start to achieve the success they've been hoping for.

To get that extra push, you might need to understand which kind of "I've Tried Everything" type of person you might be:

a. The "I've Dabbled In Everything" Trap: Often the person who says they've tried everything, really has just dabbled in a LOT of things.

This type of person is attracted by all the shiny objects and flavors of the month the Internet marketing arena seems to offer. They've tried to make a $7 report. They've tried sending PPC traffic to affiliate pages. They've tried all those push-button software programs that generate hundreds or thousands of pages in a month.

When Joe Guru emails about a new money-making system, they jump on board. Then Fred Guru sends out an email and they are certain they need that. It's a never-ending cycle where you never give yourself a chance to really succeed in one area.

or sometimes they fall into...

b. The "I've Half-Heartedly Tried Everything" Trap: Then there are those who have a more focused plan and are working to target a specific market, but just can't seem to make it work. They've put up their website, set up their affiliate program, exchanged some links and bought a few ads...but nothing is really happening. This person may not recognize him or herself as such and will truly feel they've done everything and are "at a loss on what to do next."

(Disclaimer! - I'm not trying to sound condescending or put anyone down..just trying to give a dose of Tough Sweetie Love...and some solutions.)

How to Get Out of These Traps:

Target Market1. First Things First -> Your Target:

It IS possible that if you're trying to sell a product or market to a market that doesn't already exist, you might not get to success. But if you see others successfully selling similar products to similar people, you've got that battle down. Target market is definitely key and so is how you stand out in the market.

And hey, if you're just puttering around trying this and that...now is the time to identify that target market you want to serve and get to work.
If you need help with your target and standing out with a USP (Unique Selling Position): Consult the Target Market & USP section of the FAQ.

Follow Through2. Next: Make a Commitment to Follow-Through:

It doesn't matter if you're Dabbler or a Half-Hearted, make sure you have a plan and fully execute it.

It doesn't help to set up an affiliate program and then not RECRUIT (not just wait for them to come to you) affiliates and provide stellar training materials.

It doesn't help to have a sales page if you have no idea about how to write copy that sells.

It doesn't help to set up a mailing list and then either 1.) Never build the list and/or 2.) Never email to that list...OR WORSE yet 3.) Never SELL anything to that list.

It doesn't help to post to a blog if you don't drive any traffic to it.

I think you get my point. So what is an overwhelmed person to do? Take it one step at a time and...

Make a Plan3. Make a Plan:

If you're still struggling for those first glimpses of success, there is no reason why you have to try to do everything at once. Start with one strategy for spreading the word about your business and build on your success.

Whether your first strategy is (just a couple of examples...not an exhaustive list of possibilities):
  • A mailing list of opt-in subscribers
  • An affiliate program (and think...if you promote it aggressively, that will result in a list of paying customers which is even more valuable than opt-in subscribers, in most cases)
  • A press release campaign to gain publicity.
...do it from beginning to end.

Beginning to end means (using the same non-exhaustive examples above):
  • Mailing list: Grow your list, email your list regular and test out different offers. Get to know your list and improve your marketing constantly.
  • Affiliate program: Recruit affiliates, push them to take action, provide useful promo materials, pay on time and keep on paying. Repeat.
  • Press Release Campaign: Writing your releases, distributing them DIRECTLY to media outlets and not just online newswires, following up with anyone who interviews your or publishes your release. Sending out more press releases with the same steps.


Quicker Results First4. Do Things That Produce Quicker Results First:

There are no instant riches on the Internet (unless you're that lucky online lottery ticket buyer!), but some things you can do to promote your business work faster than others.

For example, if you're been told you can get a flood of free search engine traffic by optimizing your pages for search engines - be prepared to wait. YES, search engine traffic totally rocks, but it can take time to build. DON'T make this your first order of business unless you have the patience to wait, especially if your website is new to the world wide web.

Instead work on thing like starting a highly-targeted and tracked advertising campaign, actively (I mean ACTIVELY!) building your mailing list, finding willing affiliate partners or creating a product with someone who ALREADY has a list. You'll be more motivated to continue when you achieve quicker results.

Don't Be Desperate5. Avoid Desperation:

If you're in a tough financial situation, it can be tough to maintain your focus and it's easy to try to follow the shiny objects or feel like it's time to toss in the towel. But if you want to build a business - a REAL and profitable business - don't make desperate decisions.

If you need money quickly, consider selling on eBay, offering a service where you get paid for your time or even get a good ol' fashioned job. But if you approach your business with desperation, it will make it hard for you to follow-through on those activities that will mean LONG-TERM growth for your business. Trust me, sticking with it is well-worth it in the long run.

Evaluate Training Needs6. About Learning & Buying Training Materials:

Once you have your plan together, you'll have a better idea of what type of learning or training materials you should seek out or buy. If you're working on your affiliate program, you don't need to buy that "Instant Millions with Google Adwords with Your Hand Tied Behind Your Back" ebook that is being touted by everyone with an Internet marketing list (Okay, even if you're working on pay-per-clicks you probably still don't need something with that type of title anyway..hehehe). Keep it focused and again, follow-through on your plan.

Evaluate & Improve7. Evaluate & Improve:

It's kind of funny, but over the past few years of working with online entrepreneurs, I've noticed that so many who struggle don't follow this step. They just keep doing the same ol' thing and hope for a different result. Or if they get some success, they have trouble building on it. It's because they don't evaluate and improve.

The message is simple, but it doesn't work unless you put it into action:
  • If you do something that results in a profit or step forward for your business - keep doing more of it.
  • If you do something that doesn't help your business, stop doing it.
We're all creatures of habit and sometimes it's easy to get into a rut of doing what feels comfortable. But comfortable isn't what's going to pay the bills...challenge yourself to improve your marketing plan ALL the time.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice it is really great that you take the time to put out information like this.
Thank you for being you!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Aurelia said...

WOW what an incredible post. Thanks so much for this.

Note to self: Recruit!!!

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, this is a keeper. Great post, Alice. I see some of myself in many of those points, and am finally learning to focus well. It's making a real difference.

Thanks!

Darlene

4:13 PM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

yes wonderful, meaty advice as usual Ms. Sweetie.

I am finding that #7 is making me really happy lately. I love that by constantly revisiting old projects (websites, affiliate programs, etc) I am make quick money - often in a week or less I can see the difference.

So for me buckling down and saying NO to myself and to new ideas, products and projects has been my best medicine. :-)

4:22 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Trahd said...

Great post Alice! Should be a permanent "sticky" on your site :)

5:36 PM  
Blogger Cynthia Perkins, M.Ed. said...

Sometimes the problem can be that you don't find the right resources and people to learn from in the beginning. Like you said, there is so much shiny stuff out there. When someone is brand new to the internet, it is really hard to know who is legitimate and who isn't. So many people charging outrageous prices to teach.

I literally floundered around for several years without success because for some reason I just couldn't find the right people to learn from. I sincerely tried really hard in many different ways. I poured my heart and soul into it.

Oh so many times I thought about throwing in the towel, but I had worked so hard, I just couldn't do it. I just kept trying and trying and trying.

Then one day I stumbled upon the right resource and then that resource led me to another good person or resource and then another good person and resource. Then it started to snowball in the right direction. Then I started to know what I had been doing wrong. Once I knew what I was doing wrong, I was able to fix it.

Once I started to see a little success, this really motivated me to keep going. Then I saw a little more success.

I haven't yet reached the level of success I desire or need, but I'm on my way.

I guess my point is that it is really true, that you should just keep trying and trying until you find what works. If you keep trying, eventually something will work.
:)

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This should be mandatory reading for all rookies! Way to go Seba - Tell them to get off their "donque's"

6:47 PM  
Blogger avwaard said...

Hello Marketing Sweetie,

I have been following your blog and newsletters for some time now, I even have a separate folder in Outlook where I keep your emails. If I would have to explain "Struggle" to the readers of your blog I'd say "struggle is traffic" because that's what's lacking for a lot of marketers. Throwing up a site and then wait for things to happen is not gonna do it. You need traffic, preferrable "targeted traffic"
Even if you have good products or content it still does not mean you will get traffic automatically. But I feel a lot of those "how to, or training guides" just simply fail to teach us the right things to do. My take is that a lot of those so called "experts" (guru's) symply milk out a certain strategy until it is dried up and then sell it to their list(s) as the next train to IM success. DON'T fall for it. I think Alice puts it quite clear in this post, "focus!"

Ok! I dont want to make this too long, I am focussing on my site www.dogsofamazon.com and lately I see some improvements in traffic and sales. No a lot though but enough to keep me going.
I was thinking of joining Alice's PLR subscription and create a few sites around it. Still the content has to be unique (PLR never is) and needs to be rewritten. That takes time and effort.

Regards,
Ton

10:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Alice. I'm one of those guilty of, not giving up per se, but falling by the way side; watching the world go by. I haven't given up, which is why I responded to your email. But, I don't have a "Product or Service" to sell. This is where I am stuck. My son is an amazing artist. He has always been a winner at the art shows. All our acquaintances are in awe of his work, I wish I knew where to start, to help him become more visible. I'm sure there is a market out there for his art work. I just need help with selecting the best format to start out with.
I read all the comments made to your post. They were so positive and encouraging, to hear there are really people out there having success at Internet marketing.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Laurie Neumann said...

Alice,

Excellent post. I know, for me, I have fallen short in the making of a plan. My son is very good at this, and chides me about it all the time.

It's been a good reminder to put it into practice.

Thanks for sharing.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Robin - Thanks for your kind words. It makes me happy that it is appreciated.

Aurelia - Recruit! Recruit! Recruit!

Darlene - Focus does make a world of difference. Keep it up.

Carrie - You are a good Spring Cleaning student...glad that evaluating and improving has been an important key to stepping things up.

Stephanie - Thanks very much...might do just that.

Cynthia - Absolutely. I've touched on finding the right mentors before and it came to mind as I wrote this as well. I had the same experience in finding good mentors/teachers. Once I found one, it snowballed from there. Part of it was finding out who they were learning from and the other part was that I was more discerning in figuring out who might be a good mentor to me.

Justin - I got a Donque! I got a Donque. Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Ton - Thank you also...your comments really mean a lot. Traffic is definitely one of the biggest issues for just about everyone. You've got to take each method you use and see it all the way through. Now I know that sounds simplistic, but obviously, I can't go through a full traffic lesson here...but waiting for traffic to happen doesn't really work.

As far as PLR goes, you can still make minor modifications and receive decent organic search engine traffic. In fact, if you sign up for any of the memberships, you will receive access to a video and illustrated guide to show you how.

But remember - not all content is for search engines. Good content is for your regular readers so they come back for. PLR can be put into reports that you use to build your list. A good freebie can bring in that traffic that will sign up for your list and then you get a long-time value from that visitor.

Just a couple ideas.

Edward - One of the best ways to start is an affiliate. Instead of investing time and money into your own products, being an affiliate marketer is the perfect training ground to learn what sells and what doesn't.

As far as art goes, that one is tricky. I'd search around and see what other artists are doing online to get attention and see if you might model some of those ideas.

Also, take some time to really try to define your son's typical customer. I think when it comes to art, their socioeconomic level, cultural interests, etc. will really come into play and help you perhaps create something to grab their attention online.

Laurie (home business): It's good to have someone giving you a push...good for your son.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think with me I tend to procrastinate because I am self taught and sometimes not sure what to do next! Your AM course has really helped with this and now I am setting up autoresponders and moving into a more targeted area.

10:11 AM  
Blogger LaTara Ham-Ying said...

First things First and stay on track.

I am one of the desperate ones in need of $$$. I recently started selling books on Amazon and other items on Ebay.

So I am learning and I am thankful for people like you who show me where I am right and where I need to do a bit more work.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is a print-it-out-and-put-it-on-the-fridge post!

Especially when you're new, but even when you're old :) it's hard to resist all those shiny new guru-baubles. Even when you're fairly certain that a little work on an older project will net new money faster.

I'm currently in the stage where I need to automate more just to free up time to work on those older projects. I'm thinking about trying a Freedom Business System.

Do you know anything about this that might help me decide?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Sharon McMillan said...

Hi Alice:
Having one of those sleepless nights and decided to revisit this post. Someone said this should be mandatory reading for rookies. I couldn't agree more.

No.'s 3 & 4 ring true for me. The challenge is juggling everything effectively so I don't burn out. I choose to keep my FT job while I build my internet based biz because I don't want the financial instability at this point in my life. Most importantly I want to be able to stick to these plans.

Since I made the decision last May to start my own internet based biz I've found the amount of information out there to be enormous and that in and of itself was an initial challenge.

Mentors have had a tremendously positive influence on my career to date. It's good to know as I move ahead on this new career path there are great mentors out there, like you. I really appreciate this post.

Thanks!

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home