The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Friday, September 8, 2006

Netscape Calls Me a Phisher

I recently launched a new site and received this private message from one of my forum members:

"I'm sending this to you privately, not seeking advice of any kind, only because I wasn't sure if this was something I should post..... but did want to let you know that when I opened the site, netscape came up with a message stating that it was a suspected phishing site; but then followed up to say that Whole Security had verified the site as a known phishing site and cautioned me not to proceed. "

What? A phishing site? The site talks about online scams and how to avoid them, but there's definitely no phishing going on. Add to that, the site is brand new, not indexed in search engines and I'm the first owner of the domain as far as I can see. I can't possibly be KNOWN as anything.

I contacted Whole Security, a Symantec company and this is what they told me:

I have confirmed that you are not in the list of sites we are sending Netscape.

Netscape currently has a bug where *any* site typed in with a period at the end will show as a phishing site reported by us. Most people are probably seeing this when they receive an e-mail talking about a web-site and click on the link listed at the end of a sentence.

Since Netscape is falsely attaching our name to this bug, we are working with them to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Geez Netscape, let's get that fixed up, all right? :-(


2 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Alice...

What sort of fishing is that then?

Sea fishing?
Fly fishing?

Did you catch anything?

Take care.

Rob.

Just jesting lol..

11:28 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Philena, it's just a total glitch. The period has nothing to do with it, but there system is messed up.

Rob - pretty sure it's ice fishing.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home