The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Monday, August 14, 2006

An Expiriment in Productivity - Email


For a long time, I toyed with the idea of having a Blackberry or some of other high-tech toy like that. I always hesitated because I just didn't like being THAT connected to my online business. I value my time-off and didn't want to interfere with that.

Still, in February, when I needed a new cell phone, I decided to give my cell phone provider's similar product (The HipTop - the girl in The Devil Wears Prada used this phone and so did the mom in Arrested Development, if you're interested) a try. I thought I'd use it to connect to the Internet when needed, send out email from my private cell phone address if necessary and write notes.

I loved it. I wrote notes at the gym, checked on my forums, accounts, etc. I used it when I was waiting for the kids somewhere or whenever I had idle time. It was also useful for personal use and I really can't live without it now. I check on movie showtimes, win arguments with friends (if we have a disagreement, I just instantly look it up - and yeah, once in a while, I lose the argument too), do banking, etc.

For the past couple of weeks, I've tried something different and I dared to connect myself to my business even more - in an effort to keep me away from my computer more. Yes, I know it sounds a bit contradictory, but let me explain.

I've added my pop3 email address to my phone. So now I get all my email on my phone. This is what I was trying to avoid, but to my surprise, it's working out great.

I have a ticket system where support requests and general inquiries are handled, so that's NOT coming to my cell phone. If it was, I don't think this experiment would work as well as I'd be married to my phone.

However, here's the benefits I've seen:
  • I can quickly respond to questions from my support people, so they can answer any tickets they need help with.
  • I can quickly forward any emails that should be handled by support.
  • I can send out emails when I have an idea I'd like to share with someone.
Also...
  • I can also stay in touch with what's happening without feeling the "lure of the computer"
What's the "lure of the computer"? I'm sure you know. It's when you're computer's off and you feel like you should probably log on and JUST check your email. Then you check your email and then you get distracted and suddenly, you've been on the computer for hours. Now, I can rest assured there are no fires to put out and I really don't need to be hanging out at the computer all day.

I also use email less because:
  • Even though I'm pretty proficient with my tiny keyboard, it's still a bit of a pain to type. Therefore, I don't send out needless emails (But a great feature of my HipTop is that all my email is automatically placed in an online account, so if I have to retreive any attachments or really need to type faster, I can do it online)
  • I've stopped checking my email on my computer...and that has the added benefit that I'm not distracted by email when I'm actually working.
Anyway, so far so good. If you have a huge volume of email, I don't think this would work as well. Your family would be complaining about your texting throughout dinner and you might find yourself in trouble. But for my situation, this was perfect.

Have you got any email productivity tips to share?

7 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Uh... yeah. Don't open Outlook Express when I need to get work done. LOL!

Seriously, I did download this little tool called the Temptation Blocker, but I haven't needed to use it. I have pretty good self control.

When I leave the house I have 4 kids in tow, so I can't imagine myself ever having an idle moment. :)

That is very cool though.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Hey Alice, Great to see you... great to back online..

Now about your post.. gee.. now being deaf and not being able to actually hear on it, something like this I will end up with one day, and I can see it never leaving my pocket lol..

Gee technology opens up a whole world for me.. great stuff.. is it going TOO fast though?

So how you doing Alice.. oh.. I am now living back on Portland, right behind this pub.. nice to watch senset with a drink and few friends... ;o)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/
deafdad/coveinnok.jpg

Have to copy paste it..

Great to see you,
Take care,

Rob.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got my new Blackberry and I'm hooked. I thought about it for a while but finally got it when I lost my online connection.

I asked about the HipTop but the guy looked at me like I was crazy... I guess it's not out here yet?

Anyways, love it, It's great to be able to check email and log onto some sites when I'm away or out with the kids.

I'm thinking sitting there and just waiting during swimming and ballet classes isn't going to be so tedious anymore :-)

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lure of the screen... yep, been there, doing that!

Actually having the cell phone while I'm out seems to be enough of a connection for me for now plus most places have the whole wifi thing happening so I can bring along my laptop if I know it's going to be a long sit.

But I also enjoy the few minutes away from the screen occasionally to pick up a real paper book or a pen and paper to write by hand.

Mmm... but I like your thought about being able to do a quick check of your email without feeling tied to the computer all the time....
....mmmm... now I might have to get one of these things! :-)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

That Temptation Blockers looks cool. I don't need as much as I did in the past, but it's still a cool tool to have around.

Hey Rob - nice to "see" you too! Glad things are going well.

Mila - I think the phone is sold under other names too. Even Juicy Coutoure has a private label of it...LOL. My cell phone company isn't even selling it anymore, but have assured me that they will continue to support it and my online account associated with the phone will continue. I totally love it and would find life hard without it now.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Thanks Alice,

Thanks for the help you gave me that helped me get rehoused.

I appreciate it very much.
Good to see you too. ;o)

Looking as lovely as ever..

Rob.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Lure of the computer"? Don’t tell me about that! I feel it even when dreaming. I’d like one of that phones.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home