The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I’m A Lover Not A Fighter (Boxing Day)

The gifts are unwrapped and the festivities have commenced (at least for a few days), but the sales and shopping have not.

Yesterday was Boxing Day, an actual holiday in Canada, the United Kingdom and other countries. It is most likely just as popular (if not more popular, actually) as Black Friday in terms of retail sales. Most stores have their left over holiday merchandise and other select items marked down drastically.

According to Wikipedia, there are a few theories as to how Boxing Day got it’s name and where it originated. Interestingly, they all make sense, but I have my own opinions of why it’s called Boxing Day (think boxing as a sport). My 5 year-old son also explained to me yesterday that you can only use your hands in boxing and can't kick anyone. I'm not sure if most people actually follow that rule during Boxing Day shopping. ;)

Personally, I never go shopping on Boxing Day because the crowds are outrageous, definitely worse than Black Friday, with sales prices as low as 50-75% off on some items. When I have participated in the past, I hardly ever found anything I wanted on sale and ended up buying things for full price, just to make my trip to the stores seem justified somehow.

For those reasons, I just don’t go. I can go shopping on any other day and save myself the stress of the craziness that lurks at the malls. After all, it’s nice to really relax with no worries of getting the house clean for the holiday dinners and scrambling to get the batteries I forgot for the toys under the tree. I can watch my boys enjoy the gifts they received the day before. Who wouldn’t trade the loud, hectic stores of Boxing Day for the peace and relaxation of staying home with family?

And maybe if people shop online on Boxing Day they won’t have to fight for a parking space or battle any crowds? For those that have something specific they want or just have an itch to shop, they can get the best of both worlds by doing their shopping online. Now that’s a deal! Do you cater to the Boxing Day shopper on your website?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home