The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Monday, March 26, 2007

Who is Responsible for Your Success?

I visit a few forums regularly and there is one in particular that seems to be populated by extremely jaded Internet Marketers (but amongst the complaining, there is some good info...so I keep going back). These pessimistic marketers want to blame others for their lack of success.

They blame this "guru" for that or that "guru" for this. Or they say, they've purchased "every" eBook imaginable, but they already know the information or say it's just the same old "rehashed" information. I just don't get it - if people know what to do, why don't they do it? Or if it's all rehashed, why do they keep buying it?

Knowledge is power yes, but that knowledge is nothing without action. You can purchase all the learning material in the world, but unless you apply the knowledge you gain from these things, how can you possibly think you’ll succeed?

Ultimately, YOU are the one who is responsible for the success of your business. If what you’ve tried in the past isn’t working or bringing you the results you had hoped, then make the choice to do something about it. Change what needs changing, apply and test the techniques you feel are the best for your business. Chances are once you’ve applied the knowledge you’ve gained, you’ll see a difference in your efforts.

And above all, stay focused. Don’t blame the “guru” for bringing out a new product about a new marketing technique and you just can’t resist. It’s your responsibility, and yours alone, to know what’s good for your business and what you can pass on.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Waters said...

It's amazing how many people want to blame everyone else for what they haven't done.

I know one person in particular who has been through half a dozen web designers and web hosts. In each case, he leaves frustrated because his business isn't getting the traffic and customers he wants.

But when you talk to him, you find out he's too busy to devote any time to market the business -- but it's the web designer or host's fault that it's not growing...

1:25 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hi Alice! I was glad to see this post on success at your blog today, because I'm popping in to tag you to participate in a blog challenge! :-) Share your top 5 to 10 DAILY success habits with your readers. You can read more about it and see my success habits here: http://creationthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/03/challenge-what-are-my-daily-success.html

Thanks for participating! :-)

Wendy

4:12 AM  
Blogger Mike Merz said...

Hi, Alice.

I've known you for a number of years ... consider you a dear friend, but one of the main reasons I was drawn to you in the first place is that I admire your work, and you, as a person.

In the forums you refer to, I am considered a Marketer that is a friend to all 'Gurus' ... in actuality, like our relationship, these are folks I've either been referred to or wound up getting to know directly that I admire ... they are successful business men and women ... but because of their success, they are going to be put under a microscope: Their triumphs will be heavily reported, as will their failures.

Problem is, many of these Gurus will be put down by the 'jaded' individuals you mention whether a wrong or right is apparent ... or not.

The funny thing about one of the forums you mention ... in particular: You'll notice that a thread that is negative will generally stay up a lot longer than one that is positive ... funny, aye? ;)

Best,

Mike Merz

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are the clients to avoid for sure, Michelle!

Wendy, I'll check out the blog as soon as I can.

Mike - That's definitely the forum I'm talking about. I must admit I was a bit confused by the tone of your comment...did you disagree with something I said? I know you didn't see eye-to-eye to what I was getting at on a recent forum post...but did I miss something here? We agree, right? :-)

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home