The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

How Do I Get More Traffic? That's EASY...with content!

I’m asked quite a bit how people can get more traffic to their website, set themselves apart from their competition, and generate more leads for their business. Of course, there are many things that play a factor in this, but one of the simplest ways to do all of the above is with content.

Many of us already know this and use content readily, but every day, new questions are submitted to my Internet Marketing FAQ by people who are desperate for traffic, but aren’t utilizing content in their marketing strategy.

We’ve all been told content is king and we know it’s true in online business, but have you sat down and thought about why? What makes content the one important thing that a website owner needs to have in order to move forward with and grow their business? The benefits of using content go beyond just having a huge website with lots of information.

Let’s start at the beginning of the content journey.

Whenever someone sits down at their computer looking for information on a topic they go to their search engine of choice and enter a targeted phrase that describes the information they’re seeking. The more targeted content you offer your readers, the greater the chance of people finding you for the various phrases they enter.

Once they’ve found your content, they’ll read it and hopefully take your product recommendations and/or sign up for your mailing list…and thus a new relationship builds.

Offering quality, targeted content is just one way you can use content to get more traffic. Just like any other business, word of mouth plays a huge part in your websites traffic. As visitors come to your site they will take in the content and if it’s informative and unique, they will pass the word on about your site. They may tell their friends and family about it or post your reprint articles on their site, bringing you even more traffic. By giving them something to talk about, you can position yourself ahead of the competition.

Just a bit of caution, regarding word of mouth…it works both ways. On the flip side of telling others about your great information, visitors will also pass on a suggestion to avoid your site if you don’t provide good content. The quality of your content is just as important as the content itself, so be sure you’re giving your readers the information they really want.

Content is a key tool in improving your traffic and your business growth, but use it wisely. Take the time to think through how you present your content to your readers and you’ll be busy sweeping the dirt off your site’s front door from all the new visitors!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I luv you. Seriously. I was a detractor from way (waaaayyyy) back ...

(I wrote something about your content being the "best stuff from the back of the worst entreprenuer mags" or the like. The you posted a response. And then I posted something. Then you posted something. And on it went until you created a web page dedicated to me and my "non-sweetieness".

Truth told, I think I fell for you then and there. I've always had this thing for women who can make me cry. It started a long time ago with a buxom blonde babysitter who used to swat me for stealing cookies. But that's another story)

Anywho, you keep sending me e-mails and I keep reading them. They all have [IMP] prefixing the subject line. At first I thought you were calling me one. Then I figured out it was a mass mailing and maybe you were calling yourself one -- either that or it simply meant "important".

(Having felt the scorn of your satirical wrath I prefer to think of it in terms of the former rather than the latter.)

Now I forget, what was the point of all this? Oh yes. Just wanted to say "Hi." and I think you're kewl.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stands for "Internet Marketing Prescriptions" --- the name of the newsletter.

And I agree...she is pretty kewl.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Robert the Genealogy Guy said...

WTF?

Very disturbing....

;-) Robert

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...Matthew, right? I remember you. Wasn't calling you an imp, "anonymous" got it right.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home