The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Exercising, Even When You’re Busy & To Eliminate Stress

I had a really stressful week last week. Trying to get the final touches for Affiliate Manager Sweetiedone and having Mila on my butt trying to get our Marketing Content PLR and another project ready has been real taxing.

I do try to exercise as much as I can, but I’ve often given myself the excuse I was too busy. It’s kind of a vicious cycle. Exercise can greatly reduce your stress-levels and it’s the perfect thing to do when you feel to busy or stressed out.

So, to eliminate my “I’m too busy” excuse, I take my work with me. I plan some work that I can print out, grab a pen and my cell phone (it has email and Internet access) and head to the gym. I might proofread some copy or an eBook or write out some new ideas. I get a lot done in the hour or so I’m there and it just flies by as I’m moving my legs furiously and writing just as quickly.

Of course, you can’t do all exercises while trying to read or write. A while back, I had an email conversation with John Reese and he told me he tried to write notes on his treadmill once and nearly fell off.

Well, the treadmill is definitely not the best idea for writing, but you could set up a TV screen or monitor and watch some videos you’ve been meaning to watch.

My favorite piece of equipment to use while working is Precor’s Climber, like the one pictured above. You can buy your own for a few grand or join a gym that has one. There’s room for your water bottle, towel, notes, pen and cell phone.

Do you exercise when you’re stressed out or “too busy”?

6 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

I have a built in accountability coach in my 6 year old. He learned to ride his bike not long ago and so every day he asks me to go for a walk with him so he can ride his bike alongside, and of course I can't say no!

When I had a gym membership I would listen to business audios while I did the climber or treadmill.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I have found that it does help relieve stress and so I am trying not to use that "too busy" excuse anymore as well. I exercise at home and actually have found that it clears my head and I come up with new ideas while doing it.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's actually the highlight of my day, since it gives me a big boost of energy and a break from the computer! Along with clearing the cobwebs and helping my brain work better when I go back to writing.

I have an exercycle in the basement, and I usually listen to relaxing music or spiritually-oriented motivational things. And on the days my 5-year-old is home from pre-school, she'll come downstairs with me and exercise too (there's a mat down there and little trampoline).

I honestly don't know how I managed not exercising in the not so long ago past!

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excercising is a super stress reducer. You mentioned adding a tv to your excercise routine. Did you know that people who read or watch television actually burn fewer calories that those who don't? The intensity of the workout is dimenished. Just a little nugget. I figure if I'm going to work out that I might as well get the full benefit.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I know that Nicole...but if people are still making excuses not to exercise than I'd say they better do something to get them going.

I also exercise longer when I'm occupied which is something to consider. If I simply listen to music and exercise, I want it to end sooner...but if I'm engaged in something, I won't want to leave right away!

But you can see what you're talking about at the gym. People going slower or with less intensity, but if you're conscious of making sure the intensity is there...I think it works well.

But, of course, I'm no kinesiologist!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I used to use the excuse of being too busy. It didn't fly anymore. I now just schedule it in like anything else. At 11:00 am I drop whatever I am doing and head to the gym.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home