The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Friday, April 13, 2007

Do You Hang Around with People Who Think BIG?

As Internet marketers, especially just starting out, it’s easy to get down and out about your business when things aren’t going like you had envisioned they would.

Whether it’s family, friends or fellow online business owners, the people we surround ourselves with can have an effect on our thoughts and actions in life and business; sometimes good and sometimes bad. It all depends on the type of people we choose to “hang around” with.

If your family and friends are supportive of your business and what you do (even if they don’t totally grasp the concept at first) you probably approach every day in your business with a positive, go get ‘em attitude.

On the flip side of the coin, if you hang around with small, scarcity-minded thinkers, who make it a habit of seeing the bad side of things, most likely you will eventually start doing the same.

Reminds me of a quote I saw posted in the signature of one of my mentoring group members that said, “Attitudes are contagious. Is your’s worth catching?” I don’t know who originally said it, but it is so true. The way we choose to present ourselves can have an effect on people we come in contact with. The same is true for those we come in contact with.

Luckily, my family and friends have always been supportive, but I have experienced small thinking from other online business owners. When I first started online, I joined every forum, Yahoo and networking group I could and most were and are still filled with naysayers and people who will bring you down. I eliminated those people from my daily life and things definitely started changing for the better.

How about you? Do you surround yourself with positive influences in your business? And, are you a positive source for others as well?

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Oh, yes. And irl, I have a deflector shield that goes up when people start saying negative things around me. It's my little invisible wall that says: "That may be true for YOU, but I choose a different reality."

I just finished reading a book called The Trance of Scarcity. (www.tranceofscarcity.com) I'm not affiliated with it in any way, just recommending it. It's a wonderful read... most people really are locked in that scarcity trance. :)

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Alice. Why do you think I come around here so often? ;-)

The internet has made it so much easier to brush shoulders with positive, successful people - so nobody has any excuses!

Carrie -- I'm going to check out that book you mentioned, thanks.

Lori

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments, ladies. Carrie, that book does look interesting. I might pick it up for my library, but I'm not sure if I can spend $15.97 on a book!




HA HA! Just kidding. Think I'll pick that one up.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aloha Alice,

Yes, I'm a great believer in sticking to people who are motivated to keep their thoughts positive. That doesn't mean to dodge some real things that are negative but just not to make it my main focus. I can now effortlessly start to list things I'm thankful for when things are going wrong for me. I know in Internet Marketing there's a lot of focus on the way to get your website business up in the ranks in search engines but I also think there should be focus on this subject because it takes a lot to hang in there and not give up.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"That doesn't mean to dodge some real things that are negative but just not to make it my main focus."

That's definitely a good point. My point is certainly not to give anyone an excuse to ignore something just because it might be difficult to swallow.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home