The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

About two weeks ago, I asked for your outsourcing questions which resulted in a free outsourcing report based on the questions you asked about outsourcing in your own business.

I received an interesting question from Yvonne. It was a little out of the area of discussion for my report, so I didn't include it at the time, but I think it's a great question.

She wrote:

"I am a Virtual Assistant and belong to many VA forums. There are often new VAs there that are just starting out and I have from time to time used these VAs to assist with workload overflow. My biggest question is how do I get these people to understand the value in subcontracting from me?

I have offered work to many VAs (of course at a subcontractor rate) and they say they would rather wait and get a "real" client. First of all I
am a real client and I am ready to hand them over the work. They didn't need to market to me as I essentially walked right up to their "door" and said hi I want your services - no marketing or costs involved."

First of all, Yvonne...you are 100% correct. You are a REAL client and you can potentially deliver more work than a single small business client. You are also helping them gain experience, a reference (after all, if they do a good job, I'm sure you're happy to do that) and a little more insight into the VA business in general.

Now, I wonder if their concern is that any potential referrals they would have received working with your clients will go to you. In that case, if they got completely involved in working with you, it might stunt their own business growth.

What you probably need to do is to really iron out the details of your working relationship:
  • For those hoping to build their own VA businesses, I'd limit the number of hours they can work for you, so they have time to build up other clients.
  • Have a simple way for them to terminate a contract with you, should they need to.
  • Be careful with any non-compete clauses you may include in your contract. While you want to ensure they have unable to take your own clients away, you certainly don't want to preclude them growing their own virtual assistant business.
But Is This What You Really Want?

Overall, I wonder if finding budding young VA entrepreneurs are the people you want to have working for you. There are plenty of people simply looking for "work from home" and would be happy to take you up on your offer. Connect with telecommuting websites, forums, etc. and find ways to spread the word about your opportunities.

Side note: Nell Taliercio is a great source of telecommuting information and is in contact with a large group of telecommuters. You might want to start your search there.

You can also put up an "Opportunities" or "Work from Home" section on your own website with information about the opportunities you have and an application form process. Get the word out about that and you'll have plenty of people banging down your virtual door hoping to work for you.


6 Comments:

Blogger stlva4u said...

Hehehe If Yvonne is still looking to subcontract, I'd be happy to help her out...oh wait...is that spamming? :X

Love your blog! I love stopping by to see what new information you have posted. It is a treasure trove for VA's!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Mommy of 5 said...

Love this post Alice! I think more new VA would love to have been given the opportunity to work and learn (at the same time) from an experienced VA.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Alice what an awesome idea - I am looking for ghostwriters and never thought of adding a "make money" page on my site!

You are one smart cookie ;)

2:33 PM  
Blogger Aurelia said...

WOW great post and I am with Carrie - I never thought of adding a blub about *REAL* income opportunity on my websites.

Thanks == BTW your Blog ROCKS

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,

I was very excited to read your outsourcing piece. By day I do Internet Marketing and website development for a hearing aid company. But my passion is digging for keywords using great keyword research tools like themezoom, nichebot and spyfu. You can find out lots of interesting things researching keywords about how to structure your website pages into themes and which keywords and synonyms to use that make your site attractive to google. Good keywords research helps create great content and PPC campaigns and improves conversion.

This is the part I love but I don't get to do it very much at my day job.

I am a bit of a computer geek - 20 years in the computer industry and 5 years internet marketing - but I never seem to do as well marketing myself.

How can I let people know that I can do this work for them as an outsourced asset? Should I offer content and PPC keyword research free or cheap to get started? Where and how should I promote my service?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Phil

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Hey Phil...glad you enjoyed it too. If you want to build your portfolio, I'd find a few people to offer your services free too. I'd be weary of advertising a cheap service because it might be expected and you definitely want to get paid appropriately for your time. But if you contact just a handful of people to just to get the ball rolling, you could build up your portfolio.

And get a website up there outlining your services, experience and feedback from clients. It doesn't have to be anything complicated, but a place for people to learn about you, a place people can send referrals, etc.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home