The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Three Thoughts Thursday: Digital Product Refunds

I’ve had many people ask me questions about how to overcome the fact that digital products seem to create more refunds. Many sellers complain people refund for no reason (despite the fact they have a no-questions asked refund policy) and assume they’re scammers.

You have to have, or be willing to develop a thick skin and honor your refund policy with a smile. I don’t mean to be harsh, but if you can’t handle it, you shouldn’t be in the digital products business.

So, here are My Three Thoughts on Digital Product Refunds

1. It’s the nature of digital product selling. If you don’t think it’s fair people can get a refund when they don’t have to return the product, stop selling digital products. Sell CDs, DVDs, books or whatever. That way, you can request a return of the product prior to issuing a refund.

2. Stop worrying about the handful that might be scamming. Sure some buy with the intention of refunding, but you have so many more customers to be grateful for. I really don’t think most refund are scamming, but in most cases, are experiencing buyer’s remorse and just want to reverse the transaction that was so easily made. It’s common with all kinds of purchases.

3. Think of the positive. Even if you have a higher refund rate than a physical product seller, you have a smaller overhead. You don’t have to the hassle of shipping products, for one. Overall digital product sellers have far fewer hassles.

So…what do you think? Can you handle it? ;-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Neumann said...

I agree, Alice. I have had the experience of returning something, only to be met with a less than professional attitude. It does not leave a good impression.

If we say we will refund with no questions asked, that's what we need to do. No one likes refunds, but, unfortunately, they are bound to happen.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Trahd said...

I'm not sure I agree with the popular "no questions asked" policy, Alice. I do believe in promptly and courteously giving refunds when they are requested, but I want to know WHY someone is asking for a refund. I would never hold up a refund if someone doesn't want to give me feedback, but I think it's a great opportunity to get feedback and potentially improve your product.

~Stephanie Trahd

1:05 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

For sure Stephanie. Even with a no-questions asked policy, you can ask in order to get feedback. You just ensure the refund will be processed with or with the feedback.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home