The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2004

The Millionaire Boy's Club - Everything Else is Crap

We've all heard it before, "You shouldn't sell Internet marketing products if you don't make a lot of money doing Internet marketing in other non-Internet Marketing markets." (does that sentence make sense?! LOL)

I understand the point. To effectively teach someone something, you should have a good working knowledge of what you are talking about. There was a recent discussion on the Marketing Secrets forum entitled: Internet Marketing & Make Money Products vs Niche Market on this very topic and the replies are quite interesting and varied (just ignore where I got off-topic with talking parrots!).

BUT here's a few thoughts:

- There are many Internet millionaires who don't know much about the nitty gritty details about online business. Of course, these are still brilliant people who know how to leverage the resources and the brain power of others. They just pay someone else to do the work. I wouldn't want to learn how to start an Adwords campaign from someone just cuz he's sold a dumptruck load of products on the net -- yet, he hired someone to do his Adwords campaign. I want to learn from the "web monkey" who was paid a few bucks to set up the campaign.

- Most people who want to do business online do not strive to be millionaires. And this is something that a LOT of people -- "the big dogs" and those who strive to be "big dogs" -- don't get. Let's be real...most people are just trying to find a way out of the rat race and they aren't motivated by "get filthy rich" attitude.

Mentors come in all shapes and sizes and Internet business hopefuls can decide who their inspiration should be.

Sucess is measured in all different ways and it means something different to all of us.

So, who should sell Internet marketing products? I dunno...what do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynette said...

You've brought up something that's on my mind a lot lately. "So, who should sell Internet marketing products?" I'm sure the following successful people is a good way to go but I dunno... maybe it's just me. I mean what do you think about when you hear the word Guru or Expert. To me it's like wow, this person is on a pedestal of sorts, so high up there I can hardly reach them, the only way I'd ever show up on their radar is when they're trying to sell me something. What makes that person so special that he/she deserves me idolating them? It also makes me (the potential customer) feel small... like just because I don't make $10 million a year I'm a failure but I just don't see it that way. Like you said success is measured in many different ways. I may be way off tangent and dead wrong but for me learning from a peer, someone who may not always know all the answers or seem to know all the answer and someone who's willing to walk with me instead of teach me how and where to walk has much appeal.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Well, as someone pointed out to me recently, "guru" simply means: "A trusted counselor and adviser; a mentor." source: dictionary.reference.com

So...really anyone can be a guru, if they can teach you something. I think the word "guru" has been given negative connotations by grumpy people. ;)

Now, I hope my entry didn't sound too negative. That wasn't my intention. All I meant is that we all have our own areas of expertise and successes that we can share. I also think just because you can make dumptruckloads of money, doesn't necessarily mean you can teach...because teaching in itself is a skill.

I have listened to some pretty brilliant and very wealthy people actually try to teach what they do -- and I ended up half asleep and/or confused. I have also listened to some very brilliant modest income earners who have helped me make major breakthroughs in very specific areas.

And hey, Lynette...if it weren't for you, I still wouldn't know what a blog was! :)

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home