The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Monday, October 3, 2005

But It's For My Family

Warning – this is going to be a very personal blog entry, but one I think that will hit home for most who read it…so I do hope my sharing is helpful. I wrote this entry a little while ago, but never published it because I thought it was too personal. But now that my friend, Michel Fortin has shared what has been going on with him over the past while…I felt brave to actually publish this entry.

Michel was a great friend to me during my separation from my husband. We supported each other and we really needed each other while I made the decision to leave my husband and Michel was suffering in an unhappy marriage. Michel and I don’t chit-chat as much as we used to, but he was so important to me in a time when I really needed him. I think we needed each other to make it through the rough spots. I’m so happy for him and Sylvie – they make an incredible pair. I have only known Michel for 1 year and this is the first-time that I can see pictures of him truly and completely happy and satisfied with his life.

I decided to leave my husband last year because I decided I wasn’t happy and hadn’t been happy for a long time. It wasn’t an easy decision, but I felt certain about my decision to go it alone.

Months went by and I became a much better and happier person. I “found myself” again. Over the years of having children and an Internet business, I let myself go. We mothers know what it’s like. We gain some weight, we stop doing our hair and well…we just stop taking care of ourselves. I started to reverse that and I reclaimed my social life again. Business was great and I was no longer a slave to my computer. I was like a real person again and I was so happy.

And then it hit me.

Why was I unhappy at this time last year? What did it really have to do with my marriage? The not taking care of myself, lack of social life and working too much were all my own doing. They were completely separate from my marriage. No, my marriage wasn’t perfect…but was I such a fool that I thought the imperfections couldn’t be fixed and some I could just let slide? After all, nobody is perfect and why should we strive to be in anything we do.

Well, the end result was that I made the stupidest decision I’d ever made. I was so unhappy last year and something had to give. I just assumed it was my marriage. I was working hard on a business, being the best mom I could be and I just gave up on a vow I’d made 8 years earlier.

So, when I decided to leave last October and I began my journey in rediscovering myself and finding out that I can be happy. And really, I discovered that I can have everything I wanted in life. But something was missing. Once I cleared all the “clutter” and unhappiness in my life, I realized that I was still in love with my husband and that had I run away like a coward. And here’s the part that I want you to reflect on:

I blame my business, in large part, for my poor judgment.

I’m only 3 ½ years into running my business and it’s going incredibly well, but it has been extremely hard work. What started out as my attempt to help my family, consumed me and that left time for me to be mom and business owner – not much else. It truly became a focal point in my life and it killed everything else about my life that I once loved.

I know I’m not the only one who has been consumed by their businesses and let their relationships suffer. I saw a thread on a forum where a bunch of guys were complaining that their wives were nagging them about being on the computer too much. The guys didn’t understand what their wives' problems were when they were “doing it for the family.”

I’ve seen threads on a forum where a bunch of women were talking about their work hours. Most of them said they work after the kids go to sleep and they continue to work long after their husbands go to bed. Yet, they also say they are doing it for their families…but really, it’s tearing their families apart. Our spouses have the right to feel “connected” too us and when we’re too busy “doing it for the family” and ignoring their needs, our families suffer.

I was guilty of this too, but I will no longer be controlled by my business and I will not allow my family to suffer because I work from home. That is large part of why I created my semi-retirement plan that guides my business now.

Last October, I made a really stupid decision that I will regret for the rest of my life. Please don’t make the same mistake as me. If you see yourself on the path of letting your business overshadow your marriage and ultimately, your entire family - just stop right now. Turn of that computer and go hug and kiss your spouse…and please, never let go.

Z…you are the love of my life and I’m so thankful every day that you had the courage to give me another chance. Here’s to a beautiful lifetime together.

29 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Terry said...

What a wonderful message to share. You made some very good points, and I imagine it hit home for many.

Congratulations to you & Z, Alice... I am so incredibly happy for you both!

Wishing you all the best in life...

~ Lynn

4:10 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

You may find that what happened was no "mistake". There is a beautiful perfection to these things that we only see later on.

Love and Peace.

4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speechless... totally thrilled... Wow! Congratulations Alice!!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, I'm so happy to hear your decision and how happy its made you. I think it took a lot fo courage to do what you did and then admit you made a mistake.

As you remember, you and I split from our spouses at the same time. You discovered your choice was not what you wanted and got your marriage back on track. You go girl.

I admit, I could identify with a lot of your post, but even after my "healing" and after I learned to take back my life, I didn't miss my marriage. I am happier now and am glad that you have made yourself happier as well.

It required different paths for both of us, but cheers to you for finding your way. :)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Wow Alice! That was awesome. I think all marriages reach a point of decision...and if you decide to, you can make things better than ever! Congrats to you and yours :)

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your personal story Alice. Your thoughts really hit home with me, too, and are helping me to do some reevaluating.

Congratuations on your new found freedom - freedom to be yourself and share your life with those you love. :)

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, wow. I hope many years from now, you and your love, all wrinkled and happy, will look fondly back at this moment as the turning point in your 'happily ever after'.

I'm very happy for you!
Nicole

2:56 PM  
Blogger John said...

Alice,

I wish you the best. Nothing is more important than the ones you love. It's good for us all to step back and reflect upon our lives every now and then and check our priorities.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm truly beyond happy for you and your sweet love. I wish you many many years of wedded bliss.

I commend you for realizing what you have and making changes in your life. Congrats to you and Z and the kids!

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful and honest sharing, and its depth touched me.

For me, I believe nothing in life is a mistake - it is what is right for us at that time and offers us great gifts of learning and experience; and then given that the one constant in life is change, it may no longer be right for us further down the track.

It has been several years since I left my marriage to a good man who loved me very much, and every day since for me it has been the right choice, whilst a choice that was incredibly hard to act on.

Like you, I identified that it was not the 'marriage' that was 'wrong', it is more about where we are at within ourselves. That relationship for me truly ran its course and I am blessed to have fond memories of what is now my past.

Today, I am thrilled to have the space in my heart and my life for new exciting unknown's & people to come into my life.

Alice whilst I do not know you, what I 'see' I very much admire.

I wish you, Z and your family ongoing happiness and joy.

Caro :)

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words, encouragement and for caring. It really means a lot and I'm glad my sharing has helped others too.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice,

this is great news for you, Z, and especially your children. I'm thrilled to hear that you are reconciling your relationship and piecing back together your family. That's the greatest.

I wish you and your family the very best.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Wow Alice thanks for sharing that. Wishing you all the best and this is great news for your family unit.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Dan Reinhold said...

I just love happy endings like this...

That's probably the most important thing to learn about home business of any kind it is a business, NOT your life!

I'll bet you two will now come together stronger than ever,

Congratulations, Alice, and God bless.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Alice,
I have surfed your site several times and this is the first time I found your blog. Thank you for sharing such a personal story. For me, my hubby is right on board with us since we work together on a few internet businesses. This past summer I realized that I did not want my kids to remember me by the back of my head facing a computer.

If you are at the Big Seminar, I want to meet you :-)

Kerry

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Alice! To both you and Z. I truly believe that you have just hit a huge nail on the head with a sledgehammer!

It's so very true that we start out with the best of intentions - we commit to working from home and earning the money that we need, all in the name of our families. That said though, how many are truly *there* for their families and how many say, "just a sec, someone's IM'ing me!".

Your message will make many sit back and take a good hard look at their reality.

Thanks so much for sharing.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Grandmother Many Tears said...

Thanks Alice for sharing. It not only takes courage it takes humility to see and admit what you need to do.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Diana Walker said...

Incredible, Alice. Thank you for sharing from your heart. You have been such an inspiration to me and I am so happy for you and your family. Like others are saying, sometimes we have to go through hardships to really value what we have. It was all meant to be, and I know we all will learn from you! Love to you, Z, and your son.
Diana

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious testimony to Love prevailing.

Thanks Alice - wishing you all the happiness and fulfillment in the world.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. Especially for your two boys. I wish you and your family all the best!

8:46 PM  
Blogger t-pal said...

Alice--I'm so happy for you & your family. I do see how being so focused on a business can let the really important things get out of perspective. I admire your courage and honesty. Thank-you.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

Alice, Thank-you for sharing your life with us. I know it's not easy to share something so personal, but you have given a gift to many by sharing your experience. You know me as well and personally I have struggled with business verses family. This just reminds me of my decision to close down 5 of my stores. It literally saved my family, and probably even my husbands life! Literally. He's lost over 60 pounds now and our lives continue to be enriched each and every day. Life is sooooo good. I have to tell you that I'm very proud of you for what you've done, you are a great mentor! Congratulations on your new life together!

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice,
I'm a little confused. Did you reunite with your husband or find a new "true love"? Your blog didn't elaborate.
Ron

11:46 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hi Ron...I guess you have to read between the lines. You're right, I didn't explicitly say. My husband and I are working things out. There is no new love in my life.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Alice... I'm glad to hear that you and "Z" are working it out. After all, A to Z means you have it all and everything in between. :) Funny, I was just sitting here slaving away on my newsletter and ignoring my guy, who baked some cookies in the kitchen by himself and has now shuffled off to bed. I felt badly for ignoring him before, but I think your story has driven me over the edge. I better go give him a big hug. Yes, this entrepreneur thing really does take its toll on relationships. I'm so glad to hear you're working things out.

Love and Happiness,

Dina Giolitto

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...how did I miss this! What wonderful news and I'm thrilled for your whole family. Thanks for giving us all a little perspective! Off to kiss my hubby and kids now...
Annette

3:01 PM  
Blogger Regina said...

"For such a time as this." You are on the right track, coming into the fullness of your purpose in life. You are such an inspiration Alice! I enjoyed reading what I know was very personal for you. Thanks for sharing and congratulations to you, Z and those beautiful boys!

Continued blessings...

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch!
Alice - I just found your blog, and read this. It really hits home. My husband constantly complains that I am addicted to my computer. I feel as thought I am trying really hard for myself and my family. Thanks for this.
Regards Michel from Australia (a female Michel this time)

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, thank you for being so honest and open about the life lesson you learned! I'm new to internet business and hope to make a go of it but not at the expense of my wonderful husband & son. Hopefully as I learn and become more successful I'll remember your story and keep things in perspective. You are an inspiration!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home