The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Hmmmm...Can We Stop this Duplicate Content Debate?

A little while back, I posted an entry to my FAQ entitled, "Does Duplicate Content Get You Banned?" I was speaking from the perspective of using reprint and PLR articles in an original website. I said I'd been doing it for years and felt no ill effects. Some people expressed they felt that was going to change and people should beware of using duplicate content.

I just read an article at Web Pro News called Duplicate Content Jeopardizes Your Site, which is a summary of what was discussed by search engine representatives at the SES in New York. Since much of the info David A. Utter shares in his article came straight from the horse's mouth, I am actually paying attention because I'm tired of people debating about things they aren't really sure about (and yeah...even I don't know the answers to it all! LOL).

Is it just me, but I don't see any reference to people using articles that may appear on other websites? They talk about carbon copy websites, linking, multiple landing pages and redirecting. And much of the duplication issues seem to surround having the same content within a single site.

And as written in the article, some wise words from Google's Matt Cutts:

"Honest site owners often worry about duplicate content when they don't really have to," Google's Cutts said. "There are also people that are a little less conscientious." He also noted that different top level domains, like x.com, x.ca, are not a concern.

A site that has an article broken into multiple sections, and also a printer-friendly version that contains all of those sections, likewise aren't cause for worry.

Cutts did emphasize the importance of consistent internal linkage as Baillie did. For example, if a site uses www., it should be used everywhere on a site, or nowhere on the site.


So, if you want to live in fear, I guess there's nothing I can do about it...but I'm going to keep on keeping on! :-)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex

I have found your comment on http://www.adsense-secrets.com/home.php but I can't find AdSense links.

You wrote that you have been making an extra $50 per day since but you have no AdSense code on your blog.

Lie?

5:59 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hi Andrew,

I can understand your question, but wonder why you would have to accuse anyone of lying.

First of all, there is Adsense on this blog, but it makes very little and I will soon be removing it again.

However, this is not my only website. Currently, I own 39 websites and only 16 of them have Adsense on them. Each website serves a different purpose, so they don't all have Google ads.

The site that is my current leader in Adsense income is http://www.internetbasedmoms.com if you'd like that as a point of reference.

Thanks,
Alice

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,

I definitely agree with you!

I really do want to read that article on Web Pro News on duplicate content, but the link does not seem to be working. Maybe it's just me...

Thanks,
Susan

6:57 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Looks like they moved it from "Top News". It's now here:

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderreports/searchinsider/wpn-49-20060228SESNYDuplicateContentJeopardizesYourSite.html

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home