The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Sunday, October 15, 2006

No Spam - I'm So Lonely!

...but it's a good lonely.

I figured it was high-time I got a new email address, so I've handed over my old personal email address to my V.A. Funny thing is, now that I get almost no email, I feel a bit lonely, but I think I'll survive! Hee hee.

Still, it's interesting how getting a bunch of email in your inbox, even if it's spam, can make you feel busy and somehow important.

I could have just cancelled the email address, but I had a number of important things coming to that email I didn't want to lose. I also could have made the transition myself by changing my email in various accounts, telling my contacts, etc...but I think my time is better spent on other things. That's why it's a perfect task for my V.A.

We made the switch just before my short holiday earlier this week and things are starting to come together. Mel is getting my affiliate accounts set to the correct address, updating the subscriptions I actually want to keep (not many) and redirecting people to my new address. Slowly, but surely...we're getting organized.

In a few weeks, we'll just shut down the address completely, so she doesn't have to deal with the truckload of spam each day.

If sorting through email is burning a big chunk of your day, it might be time to do a little email reorganization yourself.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel is one heck of a VA! She been handling my email accounts since I can remember and I couldn't be happier.

Hmmm, guess I lost my "inside" contact with you now. LOL Just teasting.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go ditching the time consuming tasks. :)

I agree...Mel is awesome!

4:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going through the same problem again, and I just changed my address recently. I don't have words for how much I despise spam.

But I have to wonder how many spammers actually know they're spamming. I just finished telling some guy at the WebProWorld forum that he was spamming and he obviously didn't realize it.

He had asked what email program he could use to send bulk emails to 'potential customers'. Geez, some people just don't get it.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've recently reorganized, sent most of my customers to my helpdesk and switched accounts to my new, spamless address.

Now I just need to let go and hand it over to a VA. LOL

That seems to be the hardest part for me.

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aurelia...why couldn't you do it? Even if you do a lot of the legwork yourself (changing accounts, etc), you're still saving a TON of time in the long run.

Come on Michelle...stop being a control freak. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been slowly doing this over time. And, it's a HUGE relief. Especially for customer support -- which can be emotionally draining.

God bless VAs!

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, you ladies are awesome! Thank you for the kind words.

Spam stinks, that's a fact and when you get 200, 300, 400+ emails per day it also becomes overwhelming.

Regardless of the amount you get, if it takes longer to delete the spam, newsletters you never read, etc than it does to deal with the few emails you need to attend to, then it's time to either change addresses or get someone to handle the account for you.

You have better things to do with your time!

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez - this is exactly in alignment with what I've been thinking. In the middle of Tony Robbin's 'Time of Your Life' course here and recently estimated a minimum of an hour a day spent just sorting through email. That's seven hours a week, 28 hours a month, 336 hours a year. On spam! Couple that with having to delete forum spam. Do you outsource that too Alice?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Yep, definitely. I have people who's job it is to delete spam. We also put systems into place to help curb automated spam. Of course, those systems don't usually stop the manual spammer, but that's where I have people to help with that.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Stefani @ MommyEnterprises.com said...

I definately get to waste a large portion of my day deleting spam. I have also quite a few rules in Outlook that deletes some of it as it comes in.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home