The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2007

FAQ update – Making the Decision Between Blogger & WordPress

I often read comments from marketers saying you’re not a real blogger if you use Blogger, but let’s get serious. If you’re using a blog as a blog (and not converting WordPress into a more complex content management system), either platform will serve you well. And ahem, I make a little cash from this blog and I’m a happy Blogger user. I’m also a happy WordPress user too.

One of my readers asked, ”Which blogging software is the best for someone just starting out? I’ve heard a lot about blogger.com and WordPress. Is one easier to use than the other or should I start with a different one altogether?”

…and I’ve added a new FAQ to help you decide what will be easier for you here.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started with a Blogger blog. I'd had no experience with html or even blogs in general and I found Blogger very easy to use. It was a great starting ground for learning the basics of blogging like setting up RSS feed and email subscriptions and adsense. And if you feel you want more flexibility and to use plugins you can import your Blogger blog to Wordpress easily like I did.

I do use Wordpress now but that's only because I was looking for my blog to do things that Blogger couldn't do. The transition to Wordpress was made a lot easier by my experience with Blogger.

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're just starting out, a blogger account just may be the easiest way to go ... you can always convert a Blogger account into a Wordpress account later. Wordpress does have some very important features, however, worth considering for any serious blogger! Fastest way to setup a blog and start blogging: Blogger. Best blog platform for serious bloggers: Wordpress.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Proud blogger user here too.. ;o)

At the end of the day they are both just TOOLS. :o)

Rob

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that you could easily transfer a Blogger blog into a Wordpress blog. I figured they would be different enough that they wouldn't be compatible. Good to know the possibility is there to change if you so desire.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can convert, I believe Mara...but I wouldn't start with a Blogger blog with a plan to do that. As the URLs will change (I believe, right?!) and you *can* lose any search engine rankings. You can redirect your old pages to the new ones, but that is no guarantee that your rankings will remain.

I would pick one format and host it on your own domain, no matter what you choose...so that if you do have to make changes, you are more in control.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home