The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Dealing with Blog Bullies or Internet Trolls

I know the popular term is “trolls”, but when it comes to trolls on blogs, I like to call them “blog bullies”.

Unfortunately, if you’re going to work online you will, at one point or another, be dealing with these nasty individuals who get a kick out of trying to bring you down. As hard as it might be (no one likes to get attacked personally), you have to get a thick skin and suck it up sometimes.

Here are some more tips for coming out on top when it comes to blog bullies:

  • Realize the more it happens, the more you get used to it. It sounds easier said than done, but your skin will get thicker and you might even feel sorry for these people who apparently have no lives.

  • Focus on the positive people who appreciate you and what you have to offer. These are the people you work for every day. The blog bullies are a waste of time.

  • Outsource your comment moderation, emails and support tickets. Your assistant can ditch the nasty comments so you never have to see them and let them get you down.

    We just had to deal with a blog bully on another blog. The incident sparked a few blog entries you can read below:

    Blog Bullies Freedom of Speech My ***
    Creepy Online Stalkers
    Dream Killers, Fun Suckers and other Bottom Feeders

  • 4 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    I was actually just dealing with this this morning! Ugh! I firmly stood my ground, without saying anything that even hinted at nasty and only commented on my own site. Following her back to her site would've surely gotten her cackles up.

    2:12 PM  
    Blogger Kelly said...

    I got Carrie and Mila on the air on Monday and we talked at length about Blog Bully behavior.

    You can listen to the archive here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/momsradio

    5:42 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sorry to hear that Lisa, but it sounds like you dealt with it well.

    Thanks for sharing that Kelly!

    6:28 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi there - this is scary stuff. I am just trying to deal with a customer who won't pay and sends me trillions of threatening emails.

    Since she discovered that the business is owned by a woman, it just seems to have made it ten times worse.

    I was just about on the verge of cracking, when I found this post. At least now, i know it isn't just me that has to put up with it, and i also have some tips on dealing with it. Thanks.

    1:47 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home