The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tough Question Tuesday: What's Your Entrepreneurial Achilles' Heel?


We all have things we're good at in business. Then there are things that we're not so good at. If we're smart, we outsource those things...but sometimes it's not that simple. Our vulnerabilities might be related to our personalities or beliefs that might be holding us back.

According to Wikipedia, an "Achilles' Heel" is "a fatal weakness in spite of overall strength, actually or potentially leading to downfall. While the mythological origin refers to a physical vulnerability, metaphorical references to other attributes or qualities that can lead to their downfall are common."

I have an Achilles' heel for sure - I'm rather impulsive. When I saw The Aviator - the movie about Howard Hughes, I actually found myself relating to Howard's business management style. Now, Mr. Hughes was pretty extreme and I swear I do NOT have a collection of milk jugs in my house, but when he wanted to do something...he did it. The interesting thing about this is that sometimes it's a GOOD thing, but often it can bite you in the butt.

So what about you? What is your Entrepreneurial Achilles' Heel?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm kind of the opposite to you. I am a procrastinator.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Patrysha said...

I'm an idea person, what I desperately lack is follow through and patience. Something I've identified and am actively working to improve.

1:17 PM  
Blogger PetiteMommy said...

I'm a bit of both I guess. Sometimes I procrastinate(well most of the time) and sometimes I jump into new sites and opportunities without really thinking it through.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiffany - get to work!

Patrysha - in some ways that's probably a positive for your line of work. You must have great ideas for your clients.

Petitemommy - Are you more of a project starter? You get excited about stuff, start and then don't want to follow through with all the little details? I think that's pretty common...but maybe time to put the reins on. ;-)

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say that my "Achilles' Heel" is the fact that I let nonessential things get in my way of completing tasks. It is so easy for me to get sidetracked.

I've been trying to start a to-do list, but it doesn't keep me on task. Of course, being a homeschooling mom, I think most of the time it's the kids that interrupt me, and I just can't say no. ;)

7:09 AM  
Blogger Pam Hoffman said...

Me, well, I'm good at Research.

And that's the issue. I'm good at research.

They have a term: analysis paralysis.

I must get over it. I started my blog and even though people tell me 'you should...' etc., I know that for me, that was a MAJOR step in the right direction.

I took action.

And I'm keeping up with the blog - that's something that surprises me too. It just so happens to require a little research as well... :)

Thanks for asking,

Pam Hoffman
http://seminarlist.blogspot.com

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home