The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I'm So Stressed Out - A Lesson in Multiple Streams of Income

It's official...technology hates me. It is completely against me and is determined to make me suffer. But hear this technology: YOU WILL NOT BEAT ME DOWN!

I cannot believe all the stuff that has gone wrong in the past few weeks and amazingly enough, most of things are not resolved. Let me just give you a “sample”:

- 10 days ago, my server went haywire and internetbasedmoms.com kept redirecting itself to other websites on my server.

- After they fixed that, my FrontPage extensions “broke”. They just don’t work. The tech guys can’t fix it and an engineer is supposed to be looking at it. It’s still not working and I NEED FrontPage to publish a few of the sites on this server.

- My shopping cart / autoresponder is completely crazy. They have so many bugs and problems. I’m in the process of moving…but it’s not a quick process. I’ve had to submit 15 support tickets to this crazy service in the last 10 days. I wanted to show you a screenshot of the tickets, but for some reason Photoshop won’t load…so I’m S.O.L there.

Anyway, the problems with the shopping cart / autoresponder have ranged from my autoresponder follow ups not going out, broadcast emails getting stuck in the queue, my shopping cart not connecting to my payment processors and the list goes on. Most items are temporarily resolved, but A/R is still not sending out follow ups.

(And yes, if you got 4 copies of my newsletter last week – that’s why! Sorry about that. And if you signed up for the free Press Release course..you haven't received anything past Day 1. ARGH! But check your inbox, I just sent you a little something to make up for it.)

- I also don’t know how it’s possible, but the autoresponder on my server is also not sending out follow-ups…so I can’t even move my lists over and start sending emails. I have two autoresponders and neither work!

I didn’t even know my follow-ups weren’t working, but I started wondering why I wasn’t getting any sales for certain products. After looking into it, I discovered this mysterious and extremely irritating problem.

So, here I am trying to put out fires and hopefully fix some of this stuff. At the same time, I’m losing money every single day. That makes me mad, but it makes me thankful that I have other streams of income in place. I don’t just rely on one or two websites to feed me and my kids. I also don’t just rely on my mailing lists to pay the bills. So, yes…I’m losing money, but I will make it through.

How’s your back up plan?


3 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Thanks for the sympathy, Derrick. I kind of feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Actually my web host is really awesome. I think this is a freaky weird problem and most of the problems I listed have nothing to do with my host. Just the company I use for my shopping cart and A/R.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Alice,
It's the Universe asking "How bad do you want it?".
Keep on keepin' on, you're an inspiration.

Carrie,
who dragged herself away from the toilet long enough to check her Adsense stats. ;)

8:05 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Thanks Lois. I'm actually in the process of switching to 1ShoppingCart...but there have been some funny glitches along the way there too.

But I'm getting there with the help of my handy-dandy assistant. It's a LOT of work.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home