The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Monday, July 18, 2005

The First Step is Admitting That You Have a Problem

I’m not perfect.

I never have been.

I will never strive to be.

As business people, I think it’s crucial that we understand our imperfections. If there’s something in our business we aren’t good at, don’t know how to do or just plain old don’t want to do – we can find others to do it for us.

You’ve probably heard me say this before, but have you started doing it? Or are you still trying to be Mr. or Ms. Perfect with your biz?

Well, I have a confession to make. I’ve been a fool. Although I do a get a lot of help in my business, there is one area where I have always had trouble letting go and I have really been suffering because of it.

It’s partly because I didn’t know who to ask for help.

It’s partly because I didn’t want to give up control.

But it’s mostly because I was ashamed.



Ladies & Gentlemen…the truth is, I have no idea how to manage my business finances. All my 2005 receipts and invoices are still lying in a pile on my kitchen counter (but yes, my 2004 taxes are done). I’m always scrambling to get all my finances in order each month. Yes, I have always had an accountant to help me at tax time, but for some reason, I was doing all the dirty work during the year.

I’ve had this problem (numbers really baffle me!) for as long as I can remember and I thought that if I just made more money in my business, the disorganization would “take care of itself”. Well, that is one of the most moronic thoughts I’ve ever had (and I’ve had some doozies!). The more money I make, the bigger the problem gets. I guess Notorious B.I.G. was right when he said, “Mo’ Money Mo’ Problems.” ;-) The fact is, now I have more money that I don’t know what to do with!

So, here I am with a thriving business – but with my finances in complete chaos. It’s quite embarrassing to admit this, but I can do it because I’m on the road to recovery.

I am finally giving up control of my finances (ummm…like I had any control anyway!) and as a first step, I found the most fantastic bookkeeper/accountant to keep me ultra-organized. She understands how online business works, currency conversions and all the details I struggle with. I've been searching for someone like her for soooooo long and I procrastinated because I couldn't find the "right person".

When I first talked to her on the phone and told her that my business stuff was in complete disarray, you know what she told me?

She said, “This kind of stuff excites me!”

WHAT?

It excites her? Well, then she is the perfect woman for the job and I am officially fired.

So, let me ask you? What is holding you back in your business? What do you keep doing poorly in your business…to the detriment of its long-term success? Or are you just doing too much, preventing you from moving ahead?

I made my confession and I have made steps to make changes…BIG changes. I’m leaving the handling of money to the experts. What are you going to do now?

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,

Great post! I can relate to trying to keep finances in order, but I would have to say my biggest probelm is that sometimes I'm scattered. There are so many ideas that I want to implement that sometimes I have several projects going on at once. It's like I'm a multi-tasker extremist. I'm learning to stay focused on one at a time and to write down my ideas when they come to me. But there are days when I just want to do it all.

Congratulations on finding someone to help you with your problem.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

You mean you're not perfect Alice!? (gasp!)
I don't have the problem of having too much money to organize, lol, but I'm pretty organized by nature. Dh and I incorporated our businesses recently and we'll both be forced to get even more organized.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh GAWD!

I don't think I'm READY to confess that yet!

Thanks for the push Alice.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here Alice, but I admitted to it finally as well and I am getting better with my bookkeeping recently.

I would get so excited about all the organizational tools & materials but never stuck to using them and then the piles began.

I do not wish to understand the math, I think this is one of those things that will be a big relief to outcource:)

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NOT perfect?! lol. Alice, you seem to always say what I needed to hear. I've had a friend bugging me for months to give her my book-keeping. I guess it's time to take her up on that offer. ;)

Thanks for all that you do!
Nicole

9:19 AM  
Blogger Kim Standerline said...

OMG
Alice you can't possibly be any worse than me. All mine are jumbled up in a big box.

I aint even finished 2004 yet and they have to be in for the end of August! (Haven't started 2005)

Like you though I've found a super duper accountant who once she's sorted last years for me is going to start putting this years together.

I'm with you Alice, let the nutters who enjoy paperwork get on with it. (It's worth every penny)

Cheers
Kymi

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one of my biggest problems too. ;)

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Biggie may have written that song just for you.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do it but I dont like it. I do my other-halfs as well and I hate that worse! While I am here thx for all your advice. I have taken leaps and bounds because of you, where I would have taken little 'icky-picky' pidgen steps...
Go Girl!

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Alice, I have made a note to hire an Bookkeeper/Account,and will implement it as soon as possible. Your Website and imput and also comments from others here have really helped me put things in perspective and move forward God Bless you, and thank you. Tijuana

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Alice! May your kitchen counter remain stackless forever!

It's always interesting to hear what makes other people tick, isn't it? I once heard of a woman who LOVES cleaning out refrigerators. I gotta find that woman!!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Amy I love to do laundry (go figure!). I need to invite over the fridge cleaning woman though because I hate that chore.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,

Last week I posted this on my wall (from "The Quotable Dan Sullivan"):

"You can have everything you love in life as long as you give up what you hate."

Loving the sun at Crescent Beach right now.....

Sheila

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice,
I commend you for your honesty and willingness to let go. I'm working with a client (I prepare taxes) that has a network marketing business who is having the same exact problem. She has let go of some control but is not quite ready to admit that it is not her cup of tea. She feels that it she was to admit her finance sruggles she would be a admiting to failure in her business. Please say a pray or two for her.

On the other hand, my struggle is marketing. I love keeping my books and the creation side (articles and treasure/scavenger games) but don't know how to effectively market. The biggest problem is knowing her to trust with the million and one emails that come through claiming the profits of their system. I have put lots of money into marketing the past 20 months and still no increase. As they say a confused mind never makes a decision, that's me.

Vicki Durr
Nurturing Play Expert

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice,
I was in the same exact boat as you, until last year I located a great virtual assistant who handles all of my books for me now. It has freed up much time for me and I have less headaches now. :)

There are some great sites out there that offer virtual assistant services, which is how I found mine. It may take some time to find the right person but it is well worth it!

My assistant is actually looking to take on more bookkeeping virtually - if anyone would like her info just drop me a line.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Fido bills get on my nerve too :) I've opted for mail, because the idea of having half my business finances in the mail, and the other half on the 'net is just really too much.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,

Great post. Any chance you want to share the name of your accountant?

Good ones are hard to find.

Karen

7:15 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hey Karen. I'll ask if she's looking for new clients. She's in Canada, if that makes a difference to you.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home