The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Monday, June 27, 2005

Do You Owe Someone Cash for Your MP3s?

You may have received emails over the weekend to buy a new product that converts audio files into a non-mp3 format because apparently, if you make any money from distributing mp3s you owe the patent holders of the mp3 technology some royalties.

Hmmmm...I don't know. I wouldn't buy into the "scare tactics" without some serious research.

I'm not a technical person, nor am I a lawyer (thank goodness...just kidding!), so have a read through this thread on the Marketing Secrets forum and see what you think. I wouldn't rush out to buy any alternative software just yet.

Feel free to leave your thoughts on the subject in the comments area below.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Alice,

Funny, the ink was barely dry on that blog post of mine about fear-laden copy (which you made reference to in the Traffic Secrets forum thread), when I ran across scare-monger copy for the MP3 thing. (Is it OK to post the link for that copy here so folks can see what I'm talking about?)

And you know, I just shook my head, because it was the very thing I had in mind. That stuff can come back to haunt you! And it looks so far like it may for these guys, as I've seen lots of comments around the Web saying that it's all over the top hype and that you have to be making over 100K a year from the business in which you use the MP3's, etc., etc. And that even then it's a real shot in the dark kind of thing.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I don't like this kind of marketing. Yes, there may be a time and place for using fear to sell, but I'd have to consider very carefully all sides of the issue before I'd resort to it. I think the sweetie marketing mentality is definitely not oriented towards fear-driven selling. Am I right? :-)

Best,
Bruce

10:03 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

No, we Sweeties don't like to inspire terror. :-( I don't mind the url being posted here. The sales letter in question is mp3isnotfree.com (just copy & paste in your browser).

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home