The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2005

Multiple Blog Syndrome

Do you suffer from MBS (Multiple Blog Syndrome) or is your one blog already too much to handle? :-(

I hear ya.

Last week, I was devising a plan for a product relaunch (a la the great advice from Jeff Walkers Product Launch Formula course) and was thinking of adding another blog to my list. Right now, I have 5 blogs and a few of them are seriously neglected. So what am I thinking? I'm going to start another blog I'm going to neglect? I must be crazy.

Well, I realized that managing numerous blogs doesn't have to be complicated and I just need to get organized. It's simply a matter of scheduling when I'll post to each blog and having a pool of topic ideas. I've also enlisted the help of business partners and assistants for some of the blogs and we've created a schedule that will allow us to post interesting discussions regularly...so things will be changing for my blogs in the coming weeks.

Do you have a blogging schedule that could help you post regularly? Or does your blog software allow you to pre-schedule entries to publish on a certain date (WordPress allows you to do this).

More Ideas ==> I've written some blog topic ideas that you can use for your own blogs. I hope they'll help.

Click here to read them.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Managing several blogs is great if they're all distinct topics, and you have the energy to manage them all.

While building a website's reputation, isn't it a good idea to specialize to develop one's reputation?

6:07 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hi Monty. Thanks for dropping by. ;-) Yeah, I agree to specialize for each website. There may be the odd reason to develop a blog for another reason (to promote a certain product, for example)...but the reason for my multiple blogs is that I reach a different target audience with my websites. But thankfully, I don't have as many blogs as I do websites!

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A schedule might help me, but I DISPISE them so I doubt I'd stick to them ;) That is one of the things I most love about what I do at home --- no schedule! :)

But, I think the idea of having a list of ideas ready and getting people to help are both awesome ideas that I might just have to try.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, I get the impression that you have enough segmented traffic to support different blogs. That helps.

If you started cold, with no traffic either on websites or blogs, and started doing 5 blogs, you would be pulling your hair out trying to get some readership.

When people are starting off, I would suggest that they just do one blog /site and build it up. Spreading yourself too thin is a good recipe for failure.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Yeah definitely, Monty. I agree. A number of my blogs are in completely different markets from this one...and I wouldn't have made a bunch of sites in different markets until I had the one going well already. Excellent advice!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Oh Nell, I forgot to comment on what you said too. I hate schedules and to do lists myself, but I find if I go with nothing, I mess things up. I just choose a few key things that I need to get done and give myself a schedule on those. The rest, I just to do by the seat of my pants!

9:40 AM  
Blogger gmanty said...

Very intertesting post. I have three blogs and have thought about starting another one or two. I actually think I could start a blog network of about ten blogs and spend all my free time blogging, but the problem is that I would spend ALL my free time blogging. It is good to take a step back and make sure you aren't spreading yourself too thin before starting a new blog/website. BTW - I love your blog, tons of excellent advice.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hi Jim. Thanks for the recommendation. I've actually been using WordPress for one of my blogs and that allows scheduling, but I never seem to schedule more than a few days in advance. I think I'm a sucker for fresh and new content -- that's one of the reasons I have trouble updating my autoresponders too!

I am intrigued by the Amazon integration though because that would be perfect for one of my blogs and would save me a bunch of time. I'm definitely going to check it out.

And thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your kind comments.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home