The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Your Offer Has to Actually Match Your Product

Earlier today, during the Information Product teleseminar (if you missed the call, sign up here - I'll be sending the mp3 and transcript soon...but it won't be a longstanding offer, so do it now), I answered a question about how long an ebook or other information product should be. I know many people have this idea in their heads that an ebook has to be a certain length for it to be true ebook, but it's just not so. My advice is to make sure your ebook is just long enough to deliver the information you promised in your offer or on your sales letter.

The example I gave is if you made an ebook about making an origami swan. In your sales letter, you promised to teach people, step-by-step to make an origami swan. So you make an ebook with all the steps with diagrams or photos for each step until you had a completed swan. Or you might even make a video showing people exactly how to do it. The point is, that's what you need to provide. You don't have to talk about the history of origami or teach people to make an origami frog if that is not what you promised in your offer.

People are busy, so give them what they're looking for. You don't have to add extra fluff, just to make your ebook or product longer. Anyway, there are more details in the teleseminar recording, so I won't go on and on here. That is not the point of this blog entry.

As you probably know, I work very closed with moms who want to make money from online businesses. Well, some of the moms I work with pointed out a new information product that is targeting WAHMs (work at home moms) and it is so over-the-top. The product is called the "The Rich WAHM" and I guess it's just one of the many "Rich XXXXX" products that are popping up all over the place. I'm not going to link to the site, but if you use your noggin, I'm sure you can find it.

Anyway, the sales letter for this product has words like:

"Moms can get rich too"
"You can start earning $500-$1000 every week working from home less than 30 minutes per day"
"99.9% automatic cash machine"

There's even bigger promises in what this course will teach you - everything from making an automatic money-generating website, a complete blogging package, how to get free traffic, a complete guide to create your info product without writing any of it, SEO, how to make weekly money with domains, how to write effective ads...and much, much more.

That's a lot of stuff and it sounds great doesn't it? I can make money automatically too?! Wowee.

Well, in the interest of my community of work at home moms (by the way, I don't believe this ebook was written by a work at home mom because someone was peddling this exact same stuff on my forum a couple months back, but under a different name), I purchased the ebook and proceeded to read all 31 pages of it.

Yes, this Rich WAHM showed me how to make an automated cash machine, how to do SEO, complete information on how to create a blog, how to get free traffic, etc. etc., all in 31 pages. Sure, you could touch on all those topics in 31 pages...but this information ain't making anyone rich.

Basically, it was a guide that told you how to sign up for affiliate programs (and some of the ones that were recommended would certainly make many WAHMs blush), how to get a website and how to get some traffic. The Rich WAHM even threw in a few programs of questionable legality into the mix to spice it up.

Now, I must admit that it's not THE worst ebook I've ever read about Internet marketing. Sadly, I've read many that are worse. But the reason I bring it up here is because if there ever was an example of an offer not living up to its promised offer, this is it.

Anyway, Rich WAHM if you're out there, we'd love to know more about you. Your domain is privately registered and there's no name on your website, so we're not sure who you are. If you really are a mom, you know better than to promise the moon and the stars to moms and not back it up with a more solid product. Let's make sure your offer matches your product!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for watching out for our Community Alice. It takes guts to stand up and give an honest opinion and you know how much I respect that.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Kelly. Most WAHMs work very hard and are also on a limited budget (at least to start)... it's very tempting to fall for something like this but I hope this post helps raise awareness.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

yuck, yuck, yuck. Thanks Alice.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Alice.

'Nuff said. No comment.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Thank you Alice, great post! You have saved me $39.95.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home