The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Do You Care when Someone Copies You?

I know a lot of people get upset when they see someone copying something they've done on their website. Sometimes they’re miffed that people seemingly stole their ideas. I say seemingly because ideas are a dime a dozen and everyone has them.

We all pick up ideas from the things we do in our day and most things lack complete originally. Besides you can't copyright an idea, as I wrote a couple years back.

What about when people copy your text? I know people get really angry about this and will shout from the rooftops that they've been ripped off. I've been there and shouted myself. These days, I can't be bothered.

Most people who copy aren't going anywhere and it's not worth my time chasing after everyone. So now, if I catch someone copying text, I'll ask them to cut it out (or I’ll send my goons!), but I don't lose sleep over it.

How do you deal with copyright violations?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lost sleep before, but now I just email them and move on.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to get upset by it but now I'm not bothered. Instead of being so concerned by it, i'm just concentrating on building my business. As you say people that are constantly copying aren't going anywhere so it won't matter in the long run.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristie:
just go to http://copyscape.com and you can find out instantly if anyone has copied your text.

Cheers,

Ryan.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

That's the thing, Kristie...I just don't think it's worth the effort. My time is better spent elsewhere.

I've also found people copying by using GoogleAlert.com. I can see if people are talking about me or by business and sometimes it comes up with pages that have been blatantly copied from my sites.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

But yes, I forgot to say, copyscape.com is a common tool to find similar pages, but if you have thousands of pages out there, you may never know. It's also not worth losing sleep over.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home