The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

How Do You Learn Best?

From reading forums, talking to people, etc., it seems there are two general types of learners when it comes to online business. Some people seem to want all the fine details of completing certain tasks. While others, including myself, like to get the ideas and then run with them how we like.

For me, if I get a course that gives me great ideas, I can run with them. I need to have the big picture first, I can find all the details to complete the task later. If I don’t have a bigger goal in mind I will never get to it because I’ll be too consumed with all the smaller things.

I’ve asked some other online business owner’s what type of learner they think they are and here’s what they had to say. A few of those I asked leaned strongly towards one specific style of learning, but many said they were a combination of both. There were even some who saw themselves as one way or the other, but the more they thought about it, they realized they were a combo as well.

I like for someone to start with the big vision so I can see the vision, know where they are going, and then why. And then to have behind that the step by step stuff that I can refer to when I am actually doing it if I need more detail. I don't usually read or listen to that stuff, but I feel secure having it if I need it. – Kristie

I'd say I'm more of a big picture sort of person. Give me an idea and I'll run with it - sometimes tripping over my feet along the way... but always learning from my mistakes. - Jenni

I like to know what the end result will be of course but when I first do something having steps to follow through to the end works well. Then, when I do it again I can get more creative. – Angela

I'm definitely big picture. I think fast and can usually see the bigger picture quickly. Once I have the big picture, my mind is already turning over ideas, one after the other of how I can accomplish that. I'm often thinking of ideas, working them through to the big picture, tossing out the ones that don't fit, and moving on to the next one in my head while someone might still be trying to go over or into detail on the step by step with me. - Deanna

With ideas I’m definitely a "big picture" person... If I think too much about the details I get scared and never do anything so I see the big picture and go with it. For learning something new I need step by step instructions... but really I need to actually DO the work to understand it not just read it. – Mila

I'm definitely a big picture person. I only use step-by-step when I get stuck or need to dig into an issue. Someone told me there are "ready, aim, fire people" and "ready, fire, aim" people. I fall into the second category. – Teresa

I'm a step-by-step person. I like to know what I'm getting into. Although, most of the time I change things around to suit my way of thinking. – Charissa

Big picture - When I get anything new that says readme or all those prefaces - forget it. Jump in and do it. Doing it this way allows me to learn more I think. It's like backpacking through a new country on your own rather than taking a tour and only visiting all the 'touristy' places. Unless it is very technical - like learning to program, I don't see any way around it although I get excited and learn a bit and start to jump in. – Lynette

Well I'll have to say "it depends" on some things I like to venture out on my own with new ideas, but if it's something I’m not real familiar with and is totally new to me I need DETAILS, step-by-step instructions! - Alyssa

I like to get the big picture and then do it my way. Instructions? Who reads those? Actually I like an overview first of what it all entails and then I like it broken down into manageable chunks and I live by deadlines. Without deadlines I'm hopeless. My mind constantly strives to simplify things and doesn't like too much complexity. – Cathy

With ideas I’m definitely a "big picture" person... If I think too much about the details I get scared and never do anything, so I see the big picture and go with it. Then I'll break everything down into edible steps. If I have to learn something completely new, sometimes I prefer step by step instructions. - Kassie

I'd say I’m both. I like steps that I can deviate from. I like to think of myself as creative, but I like to be showed how the first time around and then I take 'chances' subsequent times. - Jody

My answer is even surprising to myself because I have never really thought about it. But, even though I definitely consider myself an "idea" person, I really do like to learn NEW concepts step-by-step initially. Once I actually complete the steps and learn the concept, THEN I will take the big picture and twist them to meet my own needs. But I don't like to do that right off the bat because I'm too worried I'd misinterpret a step and not really end up learning it the way I'm supposed to. - Liz


I'm curious, what kind of learner you are and why do you think you have that preference?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I need everything spelled out for me. I like to know the big picture, but if given to me to do on my own, I'd probably get lost along the way. I just tend to be a person who can follow directions, so give me a checklist and I can easily get the task done.

"http://ntycnboricua.blogspot.com

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home