The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Need a VA? Look Locally

The virtual assistant field has really grown over the last 12 years. It’s not uncommon, especially in the Internet marketing sector, to hire a virtual assistant who lives across the country or even the world from you and never even meet them in person.

But, what if you aren’t ready to hire someone you’ve never talked to in person or if you need an assistant who is more available to your business on more of a personal basis? Try looking out your back door. You can experience the benefits of having a more traditional working relationship without having to deal with the headaches of employment taxes, office space, holiday pay, etc.

Many business owners, especially those who have no experience with virtual workers can really benefit from choosing the local route. If you prefer face-to-face meetings, need paperwork picked up and dropped off, or if you need someone who deals with your local customers then finding a VA locally is a great option.

If you live in a larger area, there is likely a company that offers outsourced administrative services. For example, in Vancouver, we have a company called “My Private Secretary” that offers Word Processing and other services. You may have something similar in your area.

If you’re looking for web design or other business services, check your local phone book, you’ll be surprised at what you find. You can also try the online Yellow Pages in the USA and Canada. Be sure to check the Business & Professional Services category when performing your searches.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made some excellent points, Alice. I've also found that I can outsource less expensively when I do it locally. I'll be looking for a VA with online experience soon and I'm willing to make a larger $ investment but for now I just need filing, errands, data entry, etc. So I advertised and found a college student who can come to the house once a week. Kristie: you might find local concierge/personal assistant businesses which can help with local errands if you don't want to advertise.

Love the blog!
Merlyn

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea, Merlyn on the errand thing. I might have to look into that.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had an errand runner for a while and likely will again after some adjustments in business. I had decided I needed to commit to a part-time sub-contractor for web work and so I needed to let my errand runner go to save money until the extra investment comes back as extra income.
I did find I ended up using my errand runner for more personal things that business-related. Sure, I'd send her shopping for office supplies or to go make photocopies, but I also had her pick up my dry cleaning, get groceries, get my car washed, etc. I mean, I only needed office supplies replenished so much (though she'd pick up my mail for me).
Anyway, it was a nice way for me to take a baby step into delegating things. My next step is a VA, though I'd frankly prefer someone from out of town. First, I have a completely opposite situation from Merlyn-- rates are much more expensive here in California than elsewhere. Second, I do everything virtually and think I am more efficient when I 'meet' with someone online. Also, when you need to write down all your requirements there are a lot fewer miscommunications than when you have verbal explanations.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home