The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2007

The "Alice Seba" Bidding Wars - Is It Working, Guys?


I always find it interesting when I see people bidding for ad spots on my name at Google. Once in a while I check what's happening on my name. Call it paranoia, a need for approval...whatever...I just like to see what's happening to my name and I'm not likely different than most humans on this planet.

I haven't updated a Google campaign in a while, but I was under the impression that the ads needed to be relevant? Now it seems you can post anything to a keyword. You'll see the first page of results to the left. None of them have anything to do with me. There's even a battle going on between some dude that apparently got scammed on an Internet deal and some guy who didn't. LOL. Just see positions 2 and 5.

Interestingly enough, when I search Yahoo, the results show people actually using my name, but neither ad has anything to do with with me, especially number #2. The bugger is trying to suggest that I actually endorse his product. His ad appeared a moment ago on Google, but seems to have disappeared (maybe they do have standards?!).



MSN gets interesting too. Apparently, there is an "Alice DVD" set I'm not aware of. ;-) I'm assuming some of these are the automated type of ads you see on Technorati.



I just hope these dude are tracking their ads. Cuz seriously, it's nice to be important (a la having people buy ads with your name), but it's more important to be PROFITABLE.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

That is a bit disturbing to think that someone searching for the very solid and dependable Alice Seba and finding some crap being promoted by someone else.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but hopefully people understand it's ads, but I'm sure new people might not. :-(

After writing what I did, I realized that Google never required the relevancy that Overture (now Yahoo) does and that's why they can post ads like that.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You young whippersnappers with your WiFi and Internet and what not...

I think that the Alice DVD set is for the old TV show "Alice."

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_(TV_series)

There is the world of Mel's Diner was Alice and the wonderful "Flo" (of "Kiss my grits" fame).

;-) Robert

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I remember Alice and watched it when I was quite young. I remember Flo, Mel, Vera & Alice. I also remember that Alice's son was the brother of Jo of Facts of Life, right? :-)

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, so you did see the show.

Here's a link to enjoy all versions of the theme song.

http://bigbob.com/alice/theme.htm

;-) Robert

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they using your whole name - "Alice Seba" - or just the name "Alice"? I would think using your whole name would almost be illegal. Is it legal to use someone else's name without their permission?

At least you have a decent attitude about the whole thing. I'd probably be upset.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mara, I've complained to Google about people using my name and they have disallowed those ads. I haven't approached Yahoo yet, so I don't know how they will respond.

Whether they use my name in the ad or not, they are often bidding on my full name "Alice Seba". They are paying to show their ads when someone searches for my name. It is possible they are bidding on just "Alice" but when it's an Internet Marketing ad, it's highly unlikely.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home