The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The URL Guessing Game - Domain Name Tips

I’m often asked for my thoughts on possible domain names, so I thought I’d share my thoughts on choosing a domain name. People always seem to want to find the “perfect” domain name, but overthink it too much and you may never find what you want or find that what you want is already scooped.

Here are my thoughts:

Stick with .com Extensions
People are used to .com at the end; many type it without even thinking. Unless your business is a specific organization that is more likely to have a different domain extension, such as .edu, .gov, or if you market to a specific country (.ca, .co.uk, etc.) you’ll definitely want to stick with a .com extension for your site.

Often people tell me, “Well, the .com of what I want isn’t available, so I want to get .net.”

Sure, go ahead, but realize that by purchasing .net, you’ll probably end up sending a lot of traffic to the .com site because you’re visitors keep typing in the domain name wrong!

Keep it Short and Memorable
Many times people want to encompass everything about their website into their domain name.

For example: loseweightwithherbsandexercise.com

Okay, that’s a bit extreme, but they want to make sure the name shows it’s about weight loss with herbs and exercise, creating a really long, hard to remember and easy to misspell domain name. Ultimately, it’s your marketing that will tell your potential and current visitors what you’re site is all about. It doesn’t all have to be in the domain name. And take it to the extreme, when you first heard google.com – did you immediately think search engine? Probably not.

Be Careful With Numbers
If it fits your business and you must use the actual digits, be sure you also purchase the domain with the spelled out version of the number, along with any common misspellings too.

For example: funover50.com and funoverfifty.com

You can redirect all of them to the main URL. By doing this you’re making it easier for people to find you when you market yourself offline, through word of mouth or other publicity, everyone will get the right domain no matter how they hear it.

If picking your domain name is holding you back from starting your project – cut it out! Get that domain name, create a great product or service and get marketing!

3 Comments:

Blogger Secrets of Day Trading said...

I use a product called Nemeas for finding domain names.

It agrees with your comments, and actually offers feedback on how much worse the .net and .org type addresses actually are. It varies by search engine.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, I thought I'd let you know the link for the Get that domain name isn't working.

I liked your tips about choosing a domain name, though. They were helpful and I think I followed them without knowing it when I chose mine.

Keep up the great work!

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use the same product as jonathan (above) and am very impressed. If I've got to pay for a domain name (and aren't all the good ones already taken?!?!) I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth. Nemeas can score various domain names so I can choose the ones mostly likely to have the higher ranking. It's helped my choose between several apparently equal names and all those ranked high by Nemeas have consistenly gotten higher traffic that those I chose solo.

Doug Jones

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home