The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

The Next Mozart of Internet Marketing?


That's my 3 year-old, Malcolm. Yeah -- I'm a proud mama, so I automatically think he's brilliant, but bare with me...especially if you have kids.

Some of Malcolm's first words included "website", "Google", "eBay", "Based Moms" (not sure why he couldn't get the "Internet" in front of the "Based Moms"). And he would recognize them all by sight. I guess being obsessed with the Internet is actually in the genes. Who woulda thought?

But seriously, I've always answered Malcolm's questions about what I'm doing on the computer without speaking "kid talk" -- I just tell him plain and simple what I'm doing and even if he doesn't grasp it all, he has some interest and asks more questions. And then I answer them.

Now, today he and I were "researching" a new market for a website I'm (we are!) starting. I was excited to find this market because it's a subject that is of interest to Malcolm (so we can learn stuff together) and I see plenty of profit potential in it. We were reading through some magazines on the topic...and...

He's looking at the pictures and asking questions.

I'm looking at the ads and seeing what people are selling to this market.

Then, he asks me, "Mommy, what are we going to sell on this website?"

I didn't tell him anything about selling. I just simply said we were going to do a site on X topic and he was excited. But he has made the connection and I was amazed at his young age. And then I remembered, that Mozart was composing at the age of 5, so who's to say what the young mind is capable of understanding and executing?

So, if you have kids...do you talk about what you're working on or do you just tell them not to disturb you?

Just like the Internet offers such an incredible opportunity for parents to stay home with our kids --- the Internet is an incredible opportunity for our kids when it comes to learning about entrepreneurship. No more lemonade stands for these savvy kids, they can be building dot-com empires. ;)


6 Comments:

Blogger DJ Dave Bernstein, your BlogDJ said...

Alice - I am not only getting my girls interested in the Internet, I'm getting them specifically interested in using audio and video. They love to see themselves online, and my 3-year-old still hasn't quite figured out how the heck I got her face on the computer. But she likes making faces, and - considering her age - that's just fine with me. Now to work on getting the kids their own blog... :-) Happy Holidays, DJ Dave aka HiFiWebGuy.com

12:57 PM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Alice my 6 year old is forever talking about starting his own business. He's definitely a little capitalist.
He has a blog right now (and has sold an affiliate product lol!) and I'm always thinking of subjects we could start a website on for him to earn money.
Of course he's really too young to actually do any of the work yet but it won't be long. :)

8:56 AM  
Blogger DD said...

Alice, I can definitely tell he's intelligent! Look at those eyes! You sound like you're a great mom...'course I always figured you were :) Darla

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, what a great post! I recently told the story of a student who is teaching eBay to his two children:

"On December 3, 2004, I walked into a hotel in Orlando, Florida and was immediately approached by a tall, husky man with an outstretched hand. He said, "My name is Todd Taylor and I flew here from Pennsylvania just to meet you. Can I take you to dinner?"

Todd explained that he had used my eBay information to open a clothing business on eBay that was generating a SIX FIGURE PER MONTH income. Even more astonishing is that he began in May of 2004!

Todd also told me about a conversation with his daughter Sarah on her 11th birthday. It seems that Sarah had received some money as a present. He said, "Sarah, you can take all this money and spend it. Or you can take a part of it - $60 - an invest it in your own auction. I will sell you $60 worth of clothing at my cost and help you put it on eBay. You will double your money, minus eBay and PayPal fees".

Sarah wanted to think this proposition over and after two days told her dad that she wanted to invest her money.

Her auction was so successful that she now has a thriving business of her own. Sarah and Todd have done the numbers and are sure that by the summer of 2005, she will easily make $2,000 each month in her part time business. By the time she graduates from high school, she will have $180,000 in the bank!

Eight year old Josh is so impressed with what his sister is doing that he wants his own business, too."

I know that Ken Evoy's daughter has a website and both of my children work with me. Let's hope that other parents follow us and we raise a generation of competent kids who can make their living at any time with the skills they're learning in real situations.

And congratulations on being the mother of Mozart! :-)

Sydney Johnston
Learn how to sell on ebay

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alice

You have a way to cute looking little man there :) Happy new year Alice. love your Blog.

Mark..

www.15dn.com/15dnBlog/

9:18 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Dawn Wells said...

Alice, that's soooo cute! What a wonderful learning experience. He will definitely grow up with an advantage, understanding research, patience, and how things come together step-by-step. I can't wait to see what you create!

~Kimberly
http://besmartgoals.blogspot.com

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home