The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I've Been Stripped of My Sweetie Status

Earlier today, I received a message from an angry subsriber/customer. His complaint wasn't about my product, but my "poor communication model". The message began something like this:

Alice, you really have to get your act together if you really want to get "to know" people. Although I will concede that you are a professional person and maybe you mean well but, your personal communications are shallow and meaningless.

Now, even though it started out pretty bad, I definitely wanted to listen to what he said because I really could feel his frustration. The gist of what he said was that I claimed to be a "sweetie" and that on the 2nd day after you sign up for my newsletter, you get a message with the subject line "I want to get to know you" and invites you to submit a question about your business and I will try to answer it in a future issue. I've change the subject line of that email, so people don't misunderstand my intent because I think he had a valid point on that one. I don't want to mislead anyone.

He also had issue with the fact that my assistant answers my emails, but just to clarify, the email automatically goes to my assistant. It's not like I get a specific email and pass anyone off to my assistant. It's just the way it's set up.

And to make matters worse, I've recently changed my point of contact into a ticket system. But this system is a sign of a growing business. I had numerous assistants helping with different areas of my business and it was becoming a bit unmanageable. Everything was being done by email and really, I had no clue what kind of emails were coming and how they were being responded to. Now that there's a ticket system in place, I can oversee everything and make sure tickets are being answered appropriately. So, while on the surface, it may seem more impersonal...it gives me more control over what's going on.

Still, in the back of my mind, I have sometimes felt hypocritical because I have made myself somewhat unapproachable - but I really have no choice but to be that way. I'm the mother of 2 young boys and family ALWAYS comes first for me. Although I'm extremely dedicated to my business, my hours working on it are limited.

When I first started online, I answered countless emails, helping individuals with their business - and received no compensation for my time. I was spending way too much time at the computer and wasn't dedicating my time to the resources I'd created to help other online business owners. That's why I had to make the decision that I would always run my business for the greater good.

I want to help as many people as I can in their online businesses, so that's why I have so many information websites, newsletters, mini-courses and run teleseminars. I still answer questions from my subscribers, but they have to agree that the answers can be shared publicly on my FAQ. That way, everyone can benefit and I can help as many people as possible and my family doesn't have to wonder where I've disappeared to. :-(

For those who read my blog here, or read the FAQ - you may not think I'm so elusive and I generally respond to comments and questions. So, if you wanna get my attention, post comments here for sure. Also, I am working on making a Priority FAQ membership for people who want to submit specific questions about their business. They will get priority answers and have access to other members-only stuff. YES...you'll have to pay to be a priority member, but I'm sure most of you will agree, my time is valuable. If you don't agree, you are most welcome to use the free resources I have...and I'll continue to make them.

So, if you've felt that I have been unapproachable and think my desire to help people is false, I guess there's nothing I can do but continue to help people in the best way I know how.

If you're running your business and trying to help everyone and are spending too much time answering emails, please remember - YOU CANNOT PLEASE EVERYONE and you should never try. You need to run your business in a way that doesn't compromise your relationship with your family or personal life. Sometimes that means giving email to an assistant or whatever you need to do, so don't let your business take over your life.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Alice... and I still think that you're a sweetie :-)

Willie Crawford

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice

Don't worry about it.You never came off as unapproachable to me, but a woman running a big business - good for you. As long as I got a good answer, I don't care if it came from you or an assistant that you trained. If they want more personal attention, let them sign up for Mom Masterminds.

Sarah Zeldman
www.SolutionsForBusyMoms.com

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously, he’s never heard your chuckle on a voice recording…

Survey Says: SWEETIE!!!!

;-) Robert

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always found you approachable... You're doing a great job and good for you for taking care of your family
first :-)

Mila Sidman

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Alice...

You'll always be a sweetie to me, heck I wouldn't have joined MM if it wasn't for you. After a couple of years of just visiting your sites I took advantage of your sweetie ways and 1 month into it I'm glad I did! Yeah, it would be nice to clone you several times over so we could all pick your creative mind til the cows come home but it's just you and family does come FIRST! :) Besides, even though you're a busy woman I don't find you unapproachable at all.

Tracy

9:58 PM  
Blogger Monty Loree said...

The problems of success!!

Maybe you just need to develop in to corporately structured "sweetie".

You've developed some good branding and goodwill. But the rules of business say that businesses are either expanding or contracting. You're either growing or slowing down.

I congratulate you for prioritizing to take care of your children. However, the business may suffer unless you can figure out systems to take on the new business etc.

Doing things for free is a good thing as you build your reputation.. After that you may have to start charging more and more to those prime customers.

JMO.

Stay sweet.

Cheers

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, you've got your head on straight and know where your priorities are - Your FAMILY being first. That's the way it should be. YOU ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE A SWEETIE and yes, if other's want personal attention they should join Mom Masterminds. They will get all the personal attention they need there. You are a brilliant business woman but a MOM first, as it should be.
Hats off to you Sweetie!

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, You are the best! Linda and I are always excited to get your news and you are the topic of conversation between us weekly. You are our #1 Internet Sweetie, just do what you do best and keep it coming because you do it the "Sweetest!"

Dennis & Linda

2:09 PM  
Blogger Marlo Boux said...

Alice - I relate completely - but your priorities ARE in the right order (of course you know that already)...family is first and you can't please everyone - I am learning that myself as my business grows - scaling back on things that are eating my time - taking me away from family but no financial compensation in return etc - these are things I did to myself and now I am learning! Keep up the great work.

Marlo
www.smallbusinessmoms.com

2:31 PM  
Blogger Lynn Terry said...

What a timely message.

I was actually going through a thousand emails when I happened upon your newsletter titled "Are You An Internet Marketing Doormat?" LOL

I always love your organization/outsourcing related messages. You really inspire me ;-)

- Lynn Terry

p.s. I find you very personable across your sites. I'm fortunate to count you as a friend, but I've always thought you came across very friendly even 'on paper' through your posts and articles.

Keep up the good work - your content is a great contribution to the web!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. And don't worry, Jackie...I think many of the people reading the blog entry would have read the email too. All feedback is appreciated!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure what 'business' it is that everyone seems to be growing or so anxious to start growing.

Illuding that you answer every one of your emails personally is not a new strategy. But only a complete dolt would believe that you do.

Your emails are answered by your organization/business (whatever that is.) One needn't be bright-eyed or bushy tailed or claim to spend a regular amount of time on the right side of the IQ bell to get that. (I, for one, regularly root around on the low left end and you didn't fool me.)

Back to the initial point, exactly what business is it that everyone is growing? From what I can tell it's a business model based on the type of dreamy drivel that you find in the back of entrepreneurial magazines: "I made a million dollars by placing tiny ads ... all from my tiny one bedroom apartment." "Send this one letter to ten of your friends and get them all to give you one dollar and..."

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps there is real advertising/copywriting/marketing to be seen here. Somewhere.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure anonymous, we're all notorious chain letter writers and will be retiring next week. Ha!

How exactly did you come up with your "assumptions" about everyone's business model?

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Stacy. I accept that you are neither notorious nor a chain letter writer.

I may be wrong, (I’m not), but this http://www.affiliatemarketingsweetie.com/ absolutely screams Amway. The urges, the expectancy, the pent up need to release. Why even now I’m scribbling on the back of a cocktail napkin about what I’ll do with my first million after becoming a subscriber. (But in my heart I know that my only real chance at slaking thirst comes in a glass half filled with water, half filled with whiskey and half filled with what this site is promising.)

And this http://www.internetmarketingsweetie.com/ , looks like the junk mail that I toss everyday. But, hey, at least it’s not killing trees. Maybe a few brain cells, (of which some of us don’t have that many to lose), but thank god not the trees. Thank god almighty. Not the trees.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Hi anonymous (the tree-loving one),

I absolutely respect and believe that you don't have brain cells to spare. Perhaps this is more up your alley?

http://www.internetmarketingshithead.com (Warning - as you can expect from the domain name, there's a bit of foul language there)

:-)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Oh Alice what a great way to end a day! I am totally laughing my franny off :)
Amway- BWAAAAHHHHHAAA!!

Carrie

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love that domain name! LOL. What a hoot!

Nell

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that spells it out then Alice. You hurt my feelings. Consider me miffed. Miffed beyond on repair.

But really Alice, give the back pages of the entrepreneurial mags a try. Your writing is chock full of markety goodness.
(I especially like the way you highlight important points in big fat red leeters.)

It's enough to make a bibbed fat man choke on his chicken bone.

(And before one of your witty drones comes up with something clever like, "Glad she had an impact on you. Sorry about the choking bit.", or, "Oh yeah, I know you are but what am I?", I'd like to put it out that I am neither fat nor a chikcen bone lover.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. I should of read some of the site before posting. I was so taken by the good-looking guy in the picture.

On point though,

1) Reproduce other people's reprint articles without their byline. Or better yet, just steal their content that is not for reprint (pg. 2)

It's not stealing if you pay for it, right? Whether you pay a ghostwriter that's so good that you can't let anyone know her name or whether you hop into your local Barnes & Noble for it. Right?

PS (all the marketing books say to use a Parthian shot for impact -- yes! I knew it. I'm a guru too!)

You brush your kids' hair with those same fingers you use to type that site?

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice - that was a hoot! I love it, and in my book, you'll always be a sweetie.

Kim

8:14 PM  
Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Alice is a real business woman with integrity. And she doesn't have time to post anonymous comments full of spelling and grammar error. Bringing Alice's kids into this is just plain creepy.

Here. I'll paypal you a quarter so you can go get a life.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carrie, in the words of Cartman as a make-up weraing 'bad kid' on the Maury Show, "What-evah! I'll do what I want."

For the reals though, the kids thing, come on. Gimme a break. It was supposed to read like, "You kiss your mom with that mouth." Intended soley as a jab at Alice.

Concerning my spilling, gramar, (and typing skils), well, now you've hit a soar spot. Gues that be why god created editors (and Google spell checker).

PS - (for impact)

I liked the explanation in today's entry and I get it now. So you, Ms. purty lil' thang, can go suck on a chicken bone.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. I love you. Perhaps if I were to post my real name you'd look me up, drive to my house and give me a right proper throttling. Eh? Why else would you want my name?

So, let me ask Paul, if I do give you my real name and invite you to my house and give you the fist fight you're looking for, would it satisfy you?

If not, then I'd prefer to stay just like all the other fishes (where's my editor?) in the sea. Wet and anonymous.

PS - (I'm gettin' good at this!) If we should fight, let's do ask Alice to video it and put it on her web site. If you do it right there's a big market for that kind of thing on the internet you know. I'll bring the peanut oil, you bring the man thongs.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Tsahi said...

Alice, You are the best!
Great blog.

Business control

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home