The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Cereal Box Prizes Gone Virtual

I remember the days when there was an actual toy in the cereal box. I used to drive my mom crazy because I could never wait until the box was empty, so I'd rifle through the bag until I found the prize and I could never get the cereal back into the box properly. ;-)

Well, we bought a box of Honey Nut Cheerios on the weekend and there is no toy in the box. The prize is VIRTUAL. At first, my son thought there was an actual game in the box and I told him, "It says 'virtual prize code inside'. I don't think it's an actual game inside."

He says very excitedly, "Ooooh, maybe something on the computer?"

Sure enough, that's what it was. It was a code to get some extra spending points on the NeoPets site. My son was THRILLED.

Now, personally I would have thought a virtual prize in a box wouldn't go over so well, but I imagine times are a-changin'. My son loves everything digital. He's only 5 and if he sees a meat thermometer or a calorie counter in a store he wants to have it because well, digital stuff is cool. He doesn't have to know what it is, but if it's like a computer, he wants it. I guess that translates to also thinking codes to get free stuff on a computer is also cool.

Imagine how much money it saves the companies by making their prizes virtual...plus, they get new users to their website (you have to register to use it) which is littered with ads for various General Mills products and other things for sale.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Hey Alice...glad to see that me and my brothers wern't the only ones to drive mum nuts like that! ;)

We got the cereal back in the box... in the end.. ;)

Rob

2:08 PM  
Blogger Mama Arika said...

LOL..I was the same way as a kid and on the off chance that my son gets an actual toy in the box, he does the same thing! :)

6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We used to just dig through the cereal to get the toy - forget dumping it and putting it back! lol

http://ntycnboricua.blogspot.com

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I feel kind of silly because I STILL dig through the cereal boxes.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny, because my 12 year old son would also REALLY love that prize - he is loves the neopets site!!
That's kind of a cool 'toy' - that would bring a 5yr old and 12yr old together! heehee

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home