The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Thursday, January 4, 2007

Results Shouldn’t Justify Lack of Ethics & Integrity

Over a year ago, I posted a blog entry entitled Who Cares What You Think? At the time, I meant it and I still do in the context I wrote about.

One thing I have noticed on popular marketing forums is that people use results to justify just about every marketing technique.

They use it to justify misleading subject lines like: "Personal Email from XXXX" with XXXX being the sender's address. They use it to justify creating garbage website pages to get free traffic.

The list goes on and on, but what I’m getting at is this; there are people using their results to justify everything they do, no matter what the consequences of doing it. In other words, ethics and integrity don't matter. If it works, you should do it. I think that's just crap....

Sure it might work, but what works is not always what’s right. I’m a human being first and foremost and a business owner second. I don’t like to play games or mislead people and it’s sad that people do play games, all in the name of “it works”!

Bottom line is this; if a certain technique works use it, but show some class when doing so. Think about it from your customer’s point of view. If you wouldn’t want to see it, more than likely they don’t either. Save yourself the time, energy, and more importantly, your business reputation on the net and do things the right way. You’ll get much better results and probably make a few friends instead of a lifetime supply of enemies.

If you need help with approaching potential customers, have a look over to the right and sign up for any (or all) of my free Sweetie Tips to help put you and your business on the right track.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - it seems the greed for money takes over and a concern for others is neglected

I saw one big name marketer do a damaged stock clearance two summers ago with a stretching the truth reason why. His response to comments about this at the warriors was "well it worked and that´s what matters".

Other established marketers are also pushing the psychological buttons to get the sales and have no problem endorsing products and approaches they would never base their own business on.

This is especially true for some of the ones who like to pretend they really do care.

They will pay the price in the long run - guilt, a lack of peace of mind etc.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, I wish everyone had the same mentality. The world would be a much better place.

I'm sick of this train of thought as well. They're losing my respect and I'm sure the respect of many others. Not a good thing when you work on the 'net.

You have to be extremely careful with how you deal with people since it's so much easier for people to spread the word that you're unethical.

Whenever someone does something wrong, you'll find out about it in a forum somewhere.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post, although I'm confused. If you are concerned about your integrity, why hide and submit articles under fake names Alice?

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that you posted as anonymous and then asked why I *might* submit articles anonymously.

I'll forward your question to Steven King and a bunch of other famous writers who have used pen names. I'll let you know if I hear back.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, may I ask what your excuse for the "pen name" when writing certain articles is? Are we to assume then your "expert articles" under pen names are fiction?

Seems to me like you are comparing apples to oranges here, just to justify your own actions.

My reason for posting anonymous is "for fear of violence or harassment". I know what you are capable of, and know what you are about. It's sad more don't see it.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You come to my blog and harrass me and you're worried that you might get a little heat back? Very interesting.

Regardless, you came to my virtual home and asked me some questions, so I'll answer them. Just please refrain from the personal shots as they aren't productive to anything and really seem to contradict your wanting to take a stance for ethics and integrity online.

I would say that a lot of online business owners would use a pen name for similar reasons stated for Lewis Carroll who used a pen name to "segregate different types of work".

When I ventured into some different markets a couple years ago, my business used pen names for distributing articles written by ghostwriters we'd hired. I don't recall ever distributing articles that I actually wrote with a pen name. Even if I had, I have trouble seeing the shame in that.

At this time, I'm not publishing/distributing any articles, written by myself or ghostwriters, under any pen names. This may or may not change in the future.

I hope that clears up things from my perspective. I respect that you may have a different opinion. Feel free to keep the discussion going, but please keep it on topic.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alice, In regards to your original posts about ethics and marketing techniques I couldn't agree more. I have come across some VERY questionable tactics that people are using to make money online. One thing in particular that I have come across is making money on myspace, people swear its the best thing since sliced bread and all it is about is spamming and harvesting peoples id's. Ok enough of my rant.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always been a huge non-fan of questionable marketing methods.

What really makes me sick is when I see well known marketers doing it.

I actually used to voice my opinion on this subject and got tired of it because the only thing that ever became of it was the marketers followers jumping in with their "justification" as to why it is alright for their "living-god" to do this sort of thing.

Great post and it would appear you hit on a subject that "Anonymous" didn't want you to bring attention to. I guess the guilt is kicking in over there....

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently, the blog patrol is going to show up at your door with a baseball bat and break your kneecaps!

Pen names are a common practice. Ever heard of Stan Lee?

3:19 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I have also used pen names for ghostwritten content distributed for projects that do not directly serve my primary market.

I don't do it to hide anything, I do it to keep from confusing people when they're out searching for items that I've written.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home