The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Friday, January 19, 2007

Web Users are Creatures of Habit – Don’t Confuse Them!

When I released Copywriting Sweetie earlier in the month, I told you about a special, limited time only bonus that I am including. I am offering my personal copywriting feedback and help to anyone who needs it, but only if you get on board by January 20th. Well, tomorrow is that day, which means you’ve only got today and tomorrow to submit your request.

So far, I’ve had many requests for feedback on pages that have been built with and without the software included and have been happy to help lead those who have submitted their requests in what I hope is a more profitable direction. Feel free to ask any question you may have regarding copywriting and I’ll be more than happy to offer my advice, which comes from my personal experience copywriting for the web for over 5 years.

One support request was from a student who wanted suggestions for how to make multiple subscription options at a site less confusing for visitors.

“We have 3 different subscriptions, and it seems to always be confusing as to what you get with each subscription, since they overlap so much. Would you suggest that we completely restructure the site BEFORE making all the (smaller) big changes to headlines, rewording content, adding pictures, etc. etc? (I have a HUGE list of things to do after going through your copywriting info.)”

When I reviewed the copy I noticed there was a call-to-action for her readers, but it wasn’t immediately noticeable. That is one of the most important elements when writing copy for the web. You must give your visitors something to do. Make your call-to-action clear and tell readers exactly how to do it.

This particular student has 3 different subscription options and her call to action was for visitors to click the links to the subscriptions. However, the links were not immediately recognizable as links. The text was black and the links were not underlined, so it looked as though it was just part of the rest of the writing.

One of the things I want to stress is how much Internet users are creatures of habit. People are used to blue, underlined link text. Readers will see the blue (at least some version of blue) underlined (not just on mouseover - not everyone reads while moving their mouse) text and know right away it’s a link. Therefore, cutesy, different colored links are not going to produce the results you are hoping for.

A simple, but important point.

As much as I would love to be available to each and every one of you on a personal level all the time, I am a busy mama. I created my online business so that I could spend time with my family above all else; therefore,I can not offer one on one coaching on a regular basis.

Hurry and get your copy of the course complete with opt-in, sales, survey and thank you page builders now. Then tell me your burning questions, before the sand runs out in my personal assistance hourglass.
http://www.CopywritingSweetie.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home