The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Friday, January 12, 2007

If You Could Turn Back Time

Over at my mom’s mentoring community, Mom Masterminds one of our newer members asked a great question a few days ago.

She wanted to know, if we had it to do all over again from the beginning, where we would start and what information we would put to use first?

The response was huge and everyone had their own opinions of what things they consider most valuable to their particular businesses. Almost all of those who replied had at least one thing to say about their lists and how they would have concentrated on that more. But that wasn’t the only thing the other members had to share. Here are just a few of the many replies.

“All in all I wouldn't do that much differently, I think making mistakes and learning from them as you go along is part of evolving as an entrepreneur. The trick is to know when to let go of something that isn't working and when to keep persevering.”

“I would have not spent so much money learning tactics that I did not apply only to find out none of it was the magic bullet.”

“Not wasting the lists that you do have.”

“Always be hungry. Never stop trying to be better, faster, more organized. Never get comfortable. Constantly challenge your plans and goals. Always acknowledge your weaknesses and embrace them by finding ways to minimize them. You can't do everything. You have to learn to let go.”

“Staying focused on one thing instead of splintering off into hot new ideas. I probably wouldn't change a thing because the process is just as important as the end result. It's who you become in the process of building a business that makes you successful... and some of us have to learn more than others!”

And for those of you who want it here’s my two cents on the subject.

I would have concentrated on building and working with my mailing list from the beginning. It took me a long time to realize how profitable my list can be. Don't get me wrong, my traffic and content have been excellent producers too, but you can really learn a ton by connecting with your list, by providing them with excellent content and getting them to buy stuff.

How about you? If you could jump into a time capsule and go back to the beginning of your online business ventures, what would you have done differently?

Labels: , ,


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have closed my Visa account! There are a lot of online business who still don't accept Paypal (Aweber for one) and if I had a credit card I would have been able to build a list with a quality autoresponder from the beginning.

I also would have spent less time fooling around on forums and got more work done instead.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh Cassie I'm totally with you on the forums one! I spent way too much time there.

Something I would of done is stayed at Mom Masterminds! I dropped out twice but I've never do it again, lol.. no kidding, having and really applying the mentoring and networking has been so valuable to me.

Alice , I remember hearing you and Kelly talking about autoresponders way back when and I just kinda thought, oh yea? what would I do with that and just went on my way..lol. So I wish I had of started building a list four years ago.

Though I'm glad I went through things the way I did too, I may have learned some things the hard way but that's what lots of people do, right? lol :)

6:35 PM  
Blogger Linda Stacy said...

I would have concentrated more on developing passive income sources. I love everything I do online, but it's all fairly customer service intensive.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Tishia said...

Well I'm still pretty new to being an entrepreneur (it's been a year now since I've worked at home)so there are lots of things I'm still learning and wish I would of done differently!

One is that I would of made up a spreadsheet or some sort of income tracking from the get go instead of waiting until the end of the year and realizing that I didn't really know what had come in (other than my paypal receipts). My paypal receipts still aren't the greatest to use as tracking because all they say are the amount of payments that came in that day - not who they are from.

One thing I'm learning & would definitely change is the working smarter not harder! Big big lesson to be learned here :-)

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For us we wish we had started creating resale rights products a lot sooner than the end of 2006!

We have a good passive income from Google Adsense but having a physical product that you can sell too certainly adds to the overall picture...

Marc & Sarah

4:59 AM  
Blogger Jackz said...

More Action and less leaning (aka surfing).

Plain and simple - to succeed one must take massive action.

That is still my biggest day to day problem - to get busy and not get distracted by all the other stuff

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home