The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Myth Crusher Monday: A Sweetie Can't Say No


This Myth Crusher was written on the plane from Atlanta on Monday, but I couldn't post until today. Hope it's helpful...

If you've taken the Internet Marketing Sweetie course already you'll know that is in an ABSOLUTE MYTH that you have to bend over backwards to please everyone in your market.

I've heard many good-intentioned Internet Marketing Sweeties say things like:

- "I am so busy helping and advising my subscribers, but I'm not making any money."

- "My friends keep asking me to promote their products, but I'm not sure how to say no."

- "I'm tired of dealing with high-maintenance clients. They are driving me crazy."

My goal in business is simple: To help as many people as possible AND make money with minimal stress.

That's what being a sweetie is truly about. It doesn't mean you have to let people walk all over you to make them happy...no way!

You have the right to say no in order to ensure you provide the best service possible to more people in your market and to ensure maximum profitability. You know, marketing for the greater good. ;-)

But What If You Offend Someone?"

If you are polite and explain your time is limited causing you to make some tough decisions, you'll be fine. Anyone who gets angry about that is the PERFECT candidate for removal off your contact list.

Your ideal business partners, aquaintances and clients respect you and respect your time. NO exceptions.

Let's Talk About The Common Complaints I mentioned Above:

1 "I am so busy helping andadvising my subscribers, but I'm not making any money": If this is you, STOP offering one-on-one help for free. SERIOUSLY! Just because your subscriber hits reply to your newsletter and wants you to solve all her aches and pains, does NOT mean you are obligated to do so.

A subscription to your newsletter is simply that - a subscription for a newsletter. You promised information on a certain topic...period. You did not promise counselling, consulting or anything of the kinds.

Does that mean you should ignore your readers and turn away potential customers or clients? Of course not, but be reasonable.

If they need answers to detailed questions, point them to resources to help them. Whether they're paid or free, be honest and show them where to find what they need.

*TIP* If you feel bad saying no, set up an autoresponse by email stating that due to your busy schedule, you are unable to answer all questions personally, but invite them to your FAQ (Don't have one? Start one!) or give a list of resources and place to submit questions that you might answer in a future issue.

2 "My friends keep asking me to promote their products..." - If you friends don't respect your time or your business, perhaps it's time reconsider the friendship OR how you're communicating with your friends. Sometimes the problem may very well be with you and how you're responding to your friend's requests.

First, you can't promote every product. It's just not possible .

Second, you know your market best. If your friend's product is not the right product for your market you don't need to promote it.

Next time your "friend" approaches you with something you can't do/promote, simply say:

"Sorry, but I just can't fit it into my schedule."

or:

"Your product is great, but unfortunately, it's just not right for my audience."

...and leave it at that.

FRIENDS and GOOD POTENTIAL PARTNERS will accept that.

And what about...

"I'm tired of dealing with high-maintenance clients..."

FIRST - Be choosier when taking on new projects. You do NOT have to work with everyone who approaches you. Talk to potential clients first. If you just talk to someone for a few minutes, you can gain some pretty valuable insight into what they would be like to work with.

If you even get a whiff of high-maintenance, politely decline and then RUN!

SECOND - Be prepared for the questions your clients are going to ask. If you're a web designer and your clients are doing their own updates and maintenance, create screen capture videos or illustrated instructions to help them use the web development software and perform common functions.

Many of your clients will have the same or similar questions - so be prepared. It will save your time and sanity.

Overall, when you respect your time, most people respect it too. Communicate clearly and professional and people will fall in line.

Learning to say NO effectively is one of the best things an Internet Marketing Sweetie can do - your stress levels (and profits) will love you for it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Huggins said...

Great tips Alice. I have answered subscriber questions personally but I always publish the answer (usually article length) on my blog, then on my FAQ, maybe even turn it into an article, send it to my subscribers, etc.

I get the person's permission first, so far noone has said no. If they did, I might not answer. ;)

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your awesome tips, Alice. You're right. You can't promote all products. But you can be a "sweetie" when telling them no.

Carrie, thanks for your tip too. I never thought about getting that much out of one question. Hmmm.... I have some work to do.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice Carrie and it's a great way to build up your content. I find so many people ask the same thing that I already have the answer they're looking for on the FAQ. It's a great resource for them and a perfect opportunity to promote products too. Definitely worthwhile.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home