The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Monday, January 22, 2007

Working with a VA: Tell Her When She Sucks!

A few days ago I had someone come to me upset over a situation with her VA. The person was frustrated because her VA did not complete a task as she requested. The VA didn’t follow the instructions given and this person wasn’t sure how to handle the situation.

When I first heard this, it all seemed rather foreign to me. I honestly couldn’t figure out why she wouldn’t just tell the VA. Then I remembered what it was like early in my outsourcing journey, treading on eggshells with virtual assistants. I quickly learned that you can’t be that way and expect your business to prosper. You also can’t expect to have a good relationship with your VA if you sugar coat everything or simply ignore the problem.

When you work with virtual assistants, especially when you are just beginning to outsource or the VA is new to the work, you have to remember one thing above all else. A virtual assistant is a business owner, just like you.

Good VAs have a thick skin and take feedback and move forward with it, improving where necessary. When mistakes are made, they don’t expect a scolding for it, but IF they are told about the error they can fix it and do their best not to repeat it in the future.

For me personally, I think it's a disservice to your VA NOT to tell her. She is a professional and wants to ensure she's done a good job. If she didn't perform to your expectations and you don’t tell her, she'll never know. You can’t expect her to correct a problem if she doesn’t know there is one.

Also, be sure that you are clear in your instructions. Sometimes it’s just a matter of miscommunication. Be sure that your VA knows if at any time she needs clarification, all she needs to do is ask. Be open to helping her out until she fully understands what is expected of her and what the outcome of each project should be.

I know the title of this blog entry is over-the-top, but the point I’m trying to make is that communication is key with a virtual assistant (or any assistant for that matter). So, for her sake and yours, don’t hold back for the sake of feelings, when things are not done up to par. Without proper communication, the work relationship CAN'T grow. A VA worth it will take the feedback as constructive and will improve on it. If not, that VA probably isn’t one you want to work with in the first place.

On the flip side of the coin, when your VA does a good job, make sure she knows it and that you appreciate the work she does. Positive feedback is always a good thing and you just might be impressed with the outcome of future projects when the VA knows how valuable she is to you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mila said...

Great advice... it definitely has to be treated like a business. I've been thinking of training one of my friends as a VA and i'm also having second thoughts about this... i'm not sure about mixing business and friendship like this.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Tishia said...

Definitely great advice. As a VA I want to be told when I'm not doing something right or standing up to my end of the deal. I'd rather have someone tell me if I'm not meeting their expectations than having them telling someone else.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice,
I love you to pieces,every time I read your stuff I learn a ton, but... is the VA necessarily a she? Of course not. I can imagine some guy doing a great job of being my assistant!

Smiles,
Nanette

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alice, Wonderful advice.
One question.
What's a fair going rate to pay a v.a?

2:34 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Amen, I'd rather be told that I suck so that I can make a change than be told that I'm fired ;)

Mila - it takes a unique set of friends to handle being that closely tied in business relationship. Tishia and I have survived it for a year now and I credit her for her willingness to learn and keep asking questions!

Anon - VA's earn anywhere from $10-15 when they're getting started out to $25-40 when they're more established. It really depends on specialty too.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nanette,
Especially if he's a very good VA,
and also has a hot male revue dancer's body! Like a Chippendale VA huh?!! LOL!! I wouldn't mind having one of those around either!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Mama Arika said...

I couldn't agree more. I am a VA and I ABSOLUTELY want to be told if I'm not doing something right!

My job is to make my client's life easier and if I'm not doing that then I need to know so that I can correct the problem ASAP!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home