The Official Internet Marketing Sweetie Blog

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Don't Worry - The Internet Isn't Going Anywhere

Forums are abuzz with people worried about the possible coming web toll that ISPs want to charge companies for fast-loading of their websites. There would basically be a fast lane for companies that could afford it and a slow lane (and even a no-go lane!), says the article on CNN.com:

Coming Soon: The Web Toll

Personally, I think this story been sensationalized. I am not defending the proposed toll at all, but I think online busines owners are getting pretty freaked out by the exaggerations. Rightly or wrongly, ISPs are doing this to save on resources. I'm guessing the difference in load times on each website would be negligible, but on the whole would save them plenty of money and company resources. I highly doubt that ISPs would keep their customers from viewing sites or causing them any huge delays in getting to their sites. Yes, I know that Save the Internet gives isolated examples on it's FAQ page and we know that ISPs prevent their customers from reading some of their email in the hopes of eliminating spam, but I'm looking at the big picture here.

I just don't think we should be spreading the doomsday message that our businesses will be dead if we can't afford the toll. Email isn't dead. I don't think our websites will be either.

I definitely think this is a cause worth fighting and you can go to Save The Internet to find out what you can do about it. Sign the petition, send letters and don't forget to watch the video from Ask a Ninja...but try not to freak out. :-)


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have similar views on this. I'm not saying don't do anything about it but I think it's unproductive to go into a panic.

But people didn't seem to agree with this when I posted on a forum about it, LOL.

I can't see this being the end of internet business... we may have to adapt a little but that's a natural thing in business.

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your opinion on this Alice!

I must admit I was one of the panickees, but when I read your post I realized that I may have been going a bit overboard! Thank you!

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not "panicked", but certainly am doing my part in making my voice heard.

PS
Sometimes I think you HAVE to make people panic in order for them to take action...seems like we can be pretty lazy unless motivated by fear or money or both. lol

Nell

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home